Total Random Weird Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off.. Does something weigh more if it has more 'Gravitational Potential Energy' ??

Second Off... Does something have more 'Gravitational Potential Energy' the higher up it is ? i mean like if you dropped a book from say 20,000 feet and it hit you on the head wud it have more potential energy when it hits u then if it was just placed on your head ?,

Third Off... Does something falling from a greater height hurt more because it's 'heavier' because of more potential energy ?

1. gravitational potential energy is a product of weight (mass and gravity) and height. an object at a greater height but of the same weight as another has a greater potential energy. however a lighter object at a greater height may have more potential energy.

2.the higher an object is the greater it's potential energy. however the moment the book strikes your head it would have the same amount of potential energy as if it were placed there. it would have a greater kinetic energy. kinetic energy (energy of movement) and potential energy are linked. as an object falls it's kinetic energy increases and it's potential energy decreases. say an object is at 10m and then is dropped. while it is at 10m it's potential energy should be equal to it's kinetic energy at the moment it hit's the ground.

3. it's height does not really relate to how heavy it is. the object would do more damage because it would hit with a greater energy.

:). Thanks Guys. The terminal velocity of a book would be pretty high i should imagine,

by the way i hate comic books, but random physics that i dont no about is just fun :D

My friend just wants to know this, and being 13 i dont have a clue.

First off.. Does something weigh more if it has more 'Gravitational Potential Energy' ??

Second Off... Does something have more 'Gravitational Potential Energy' the higher up it is ? i mean like if you dropped a book from say 20,000 feet and it hit you on the head wud it have more potential energy when it hits u then if it was just placed on your head ?,

Third Off... Does something falling from a greater height hurt more because it's 'heavier' because of more potential energy ?

Thats really confusing me :S, Hope someone makes more sense out of it than me.

His idea is that if you could somehow harness the potentail energy from something high up, then bring it to ground and remain its potential energy, you cud pull huge pranks on people like them not being able to pick up because of the increase in weight.

*K M A N and Sk8r Dude get awarded randomness award 2007*

...P.S. Before you moan at us both, try to SERIOUSLY answer the question... please :D.

GOOGLE and WIKI is your freind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom