Total Newb

Hello my name is Trevor and im a newb to the PC building. when i went home on leave my friend let me use his rig to check my email and i was instantly hooked, then he let me play a game on it. i have already purchased a case ( cooler master 690 ) plus a few extra fans with led's for visual pleasure. i know the instruction manual shows and explains how to install everything but the only problem is i have no idea what im looking for when it comes to MOBO's and CPU's and video cards, and further more once i finally get it all together how do i install all the programs? I know most will laugh at this thread but I really want to learn more about computers so i dont end up getting to much of one thing and not enough of something else. All comments to further my knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Nah we won't laugh. We are used to people asking for help.:)
After all it is a computer help forum.

Trevdog666 said:
You dont know how dumb you are until you meet someone smarter than you

99% of being smart is knowing what you are bad at.:p

Most of us on the forum can suggest Mobo's and cpu's for you. We just need a few questions answered.

Max budget?
Preference on brands?
You already have led fans, do you want more lights? (light up wires. etc.)

well im looking to keep it under 1500 and this is a piece by piece project for me as i am going to be buying parts paycheck to paycheck. lets see i live in Abilene texas where i am stationed at dyess Air Force base, and i prefer amd over intel as well as xp over vista. i really want a computer that will be great at gaming although i dont want to go sli i just want one card which will prob be a nvidia 280 gtx. i think what really stumps me about all the computer stuff is knowing what ram to use on which mobo and what cpu will work with whick mobo? im sure ill have 10,000,000,000 more questions before i ever start the rig but i really want to get into this because im over haveing a slow computer and blowing money game consoles that are only cool for a year or two. like it said in the begining im a car modifier so why buy new when you can keep upgrading to go faster and look cooler:D . as for the lights i think for now im just going to stick whith the led fans until i can see what it looks like lit up and assess if i want more. any and all suggestions are always greatly appreciated,

Thanks Guys

Ah thank god on your location, we can use newegg :)

My only remaining question is do you have the monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers already or do you still need those? If you still need those, are they part of the budget, or a separate fund?

honestly im not sure what the res is or where i would be able to find it. but yes i already have a barebone store crapper with all intelled. im planning on upgrading to a 23.5 inch monitor from newegg and the res on that is 1920 x 1080 and that will be the monitor i use for the build. right now i just have a stock 17 inch compac res unknown

well i want to build a rig that will be good for gaming, nothing super extreme just enough to run most games with all the settings set to high, as well as good for surfing the net without binding up and performing a crash and burn like my bare bone

You have come to the right place! Welcome to Computer Forums.

Now, let me step out of the way and let the experts help you.:)

Nice move on the AMD!!!!!!!

Hmmm.... that build worshipme posted sounds good, but personally, I would go with the P2 955, and instead of the 280, get a 4850x2 2gb. That is the same board I have, and it pwns.

Worship, that is a very good build. Nothing more I can add.

i checked out the build by worship and it looks great and way affordable. hoping to start making some orders by end of july beggining of august. ill keep updating with more questions and attempt to put some pictures up to keep everyone updated on how the build is coming along

ok i have the setup saved on my newegg wishlist and its givin super direction on what im doing now. thanks to everyone for the help i would never figured this stuff out on my own

Back
Top Bottom