Too many programs on my computer

Joe2

Baseband Member
I have 100 programs on my C Drive and I only use about 30 on a regular basis and the remaining 70 I use intermittently, but I do use them. I am sure this number of programs is slowing down my computer considerably. Is there a way that I can improve my situation and speed up my computer.

Some details on my computer are below from Belarc Advisor:

Processor
2.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Drive Volumes:

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 160.03 GB 113.62 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 1) 320.07 GB 103.26 GB free
e: (NTFS on drive 2) 1000.20 GB 737.80 GB free

Memory Mdules

3316 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'J6H1' has 2048 MB
Slot 'J6H2' has 2048 MB

OK First off having a large number of programs installed on your computer technically won't slow it down.

The only thing that may cause a problem is if the programs and their files are fragmented and all over the place so you may want to run a defrag.

The other thing you may want to do is stop any programs you don't use running anything upon startup.

Hit start, Then go to Run, The type "msconfig" and hit enter.

Go to the startup tab and uncheck anything you do not need, NOTE this will not stop your programs from working as the services required will startup when you launch the programs.

Please only change items in the startup as the other areas can cause tricky system issues if you don't know what you are doing.

Try and Google nay processes / programs you don't know and that should give you an idea as to if you need it on the startup or not.

Back
Top Bottom