Too Many CPU & Too Many GPU's HELP...HELP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkmoon269

Beta member
Ok...I'm planning on building a new computer for home. After 4 years with an Athlon 2200 and a GeForce 5500, I think I deserve an upgrade. So this is the spec I was thinking, so comments and advice are appreciated:

1 @ AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz (Socket AM2)

1 @ Asus M2N32-SLi-DLX nForce 590 SLi (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

1 @ GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 667MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB5300DC)

1 @ BFG GeForce 7600 GT OC 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

1 @ Zalman CNPS9500-AM2 Aero Flower (Socket AM2/939/754) CPU Cooler (HS-021-ZA)

3 @ Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 80GB 6V080E0 SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-095-MD) ###RAID 0 array###

I mainly play games and edit video on the computer, so I'm looking for a good allrounder - but can't make up my mind whether to jump now with the above system, or hedge my bets and build one with a Intel Pentium 4 930 Dual Core "LGA775 Presler" 3.0GHz (800FSB), so that it can be upgraded to the Itel Conroe when it comes out.

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.......... :(

Wait uhntil the end of the month when (supposedly) AMD prices drop. Then get yourself an AMD Duel core 3800 AM2. I would also upgrade the GPU to a 7900GT, it's not much more. With video editing... you will probalby use a butt ton of HD space? Any reason besides money for the 80 GB drives? Why not get one of those and maybe 2 200/250GB drives (the 80 for the OS) and the other for storage. if you really have the money then for go a 74GB raptor for the OS... you will DEFINATELY see a differance in loading. but that depends on your budget. but your picks don't look half bad...

I was planning on stripping the 3 drives (raid 0) into 1 volume for the OS and current work/games, and then using the 400Gb SATA-2 drive that I already have for archiving.

Would 1 x 75Gb Raptor be faster that 3 Raided 80Gb's?

That would depend on the raid setup, but I am by no means an expert on RAID situations... (Someone else perhaps?? ...) I have a 36 Raptor for the OS and 74 for games. and from power up it takes approx. 15-20 seconds and I am completely booted up. So for me it works.

I looked at the prices of the 7900GT - abit over budget. However, I might be able to push to a 7800GT. How are they?

I researched the Raid v Raptor argument - Raptor wins because of it's lower access time.

2585.png

As you can see from the above Raid 0 (even Raptors Raided) doesn't give any benefit!!!

Link to full article

HAHAHA! well thats not the only place it gives benefits, you should check system booting speeds, and other games....some games require alot of data......so u no.....i mean UT 2004 worked on my aunts $500 (CAD) laptop, haha.

Yeah, like john said, raptors will definitely give benefits when booting up. If you get one, make sure to put your OS and games on it. The benefit may not be huge, but it is noticable...sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom