Toggling Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I need to toggle an ethernet connection to one of my computers without using the pc (its a file server that I leave on. It has an active connection for downloading music, and a secondary card that connects to the wan port on my router then to the other pc's)

I need to externally switch on and off the connection, and the switch is in a bad place to continually plug and unplug it, same with the pc. I have a whole bunch of Cat5e cable and some light switches, im just wondering if its possible to connect the light switch to one of the cables to enable/disable the connection.

awhile ago i seen someone else do this, i just cant find it on google anymore. theres 8 wires to choose from, and im sure that if i can switch one of them on and off and have it enable/disable the connection

Put the light switch in the middle of an extension cord and use it to toggle the power. :p Seriously, it would work.

If you can mount the switch so you can easily reach it, you can just unplug the ethernet you don't need. I have my router set up like this, and will be doing the same when I get a switch.

well i have all the materials out infront of me anyways.

about 200ft of spool cat5e
one 15ft cat5e cord with connections
one dpst switch
soldering iron
solder
etc...

since i can only break the signal between two wires, which two would be the best to do it to?

the
RX+
RX-
TX+
TX-

?

i tried it with the RX+/TX+ but i think one of my solders is bad, so im redoing it with any suggestions on here.

and i would toggle power to the whole system, but... that would involve setting up a monitor, kb, and mouse for it, and i dont have any available, plus i would have to restart all of the progs and re-enable all of the settings (about 10min process) rather than 5s for toggling the ethernet switch

so when i take off to school my stepbrother doesnt try and fck with my ongoing project of fixing his last messup (which was deleting/renaming/generally screwing up my perfectly named, album'd, bitrated, artised, 320kbps mp3 library (that had 6000 songs, now im working back up from 800 songs, at 4000 right now)

i got the switch made, looks like a standard light switch just sitting on top of my dresser with a grey cable and a blue cable running out of its back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom