To those in Universities....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdinkel

Daemon Poster
Is it just me, or do you spend most of your time fullfilling the liberal arts requirements? At this point, I've been through 2 years of CC, doing 90% Geneds, and i am still behind at the Univ. Level.

I mean, sure, there is the "well-rounded indiviual" aspect, but I mean some of this makes me wonder why we even consider going to University to get educated. It seems to me i've been in more classes that i have no passion about, and it gets to the point where you just don't care anymore.

Sad thing is that it is the first thing you supposedly put on a resume, and yet to me has been worthless as of far. I mean, sitting in a class, sleeping while i could be doing something worthwhile is just... well... stupid.

Also, every job interview has said my experience in IT (which has made me more well-rounded than those art appreciation classes) is useless in their organization. I mean I learned a lot more time management, people skills, etc from that job than i ever did in classes.

Oh well. I'm sure its just the backwardsness of Kansas as a whole. Maybe someday Kansas will wake up. Probably not soon though.

Not sure what American universities are like, but I quite like my course. I'd consider it a pretty good and useful education.

I am an engineer at a public university. All the engineers here do not have to take Gen Eds. i guess they feel that we already have a lot of hard classes to take as it is.

It isn't much different in Oklahoma. I am originally from Kansas, and in Oklahoma, OPSU to be specific, there were a ton of classes that didn't mean a ****.

Since I had graduated from KS, OK thought I was deficient in my history, so I actually had to take an extra history class. I don't care for the "well rounded" individual, because we are having to pay for classes that don't help us in the carreer of our choice. Im paying to make more money, not take classes with **** I will never learn

I'm going to community college myself. Pretty much the first too years are generals and the last two are more specialized. I can take more degree oriented courses here but most don't transfer over to a 4 year college so I'm not going to bother with it at this point.

I think most colleges follow the same basic guidlines when its comes to requirements for a major, but then they just throw in other classes to round out the curicullum. Thats why transferring credits from one school to another could leave you with less then you started with, not all schools have the same classes.

Since I had graduated from KS, OK thought I was deficient in my history, so I actually had to take an extra history class. I don't care for the "well rounded" individual, because we are having to pay for classes that don't help us in the carreer of our choice. Im paying to make more money, not take classes with **** I will never learn

My problem with Gen-Eds is like you said.... When am I going to use it? I mean Art appreciation..... the only thing i learned to appreciate was coffee out of that class. Nor can i really use stats... its just classes like these that I'm sure are usable, but they don't make it real enough to make it worth my time to sit there.

Mainly what i want is to have a job that is worth my time to go to, and that i can meet people and have fun at.... but they stop me at the BS.

I am also stuck taking a bunch of gen-eds that I don't really care about. I'm actually right in the middle of scheduling for my next semester and I still have a ridiculous number of general requirements to fill. Sometimes my gen-ed classes are interseting, but for the most part I really wished I didn't have to bother with them.

well, at the art institute you got the same crap to some degree. You shouldn't have to take that many gen eds....depends on your degree.

Math, science, history, english are the main ones. Here we also need speech, psychology, and media theory and criticism (for my degree).

I had a class called "General Ed Seminar".........I paid $1400 for this class which basically is "Set goals for yourself and achieve it by the end of the quarter!"

I skipped my last two speech classes and just got an e-mail from my teacher saying I'm already down 10% on my final grade.......yeesh.

You kids. It's just me but school is waste of time and money. so I quit. (about 8 years ago) as long as you set your goal and have some kind of skills that can be used in real world, you'll be OK. unless you want to be a banker or politician or some higher goverment employee....which i do not want to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom