Tips/Tricks/Reccommendations to Decrease Start-up Time?

Another thing that I am very picky on, is what services are running/stop and which ones that start up or manually kick on. A good reference point that I use all the time is Black Viper. He gives very good details on what everything is and gives you ideas what you should on or off for what kind of machine you are running.

Black Viper's Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Service Configurations | Black Viper's Website | www.blackviper.com

Also have you done the Firefox 4 performance tweaks. They do help a little but not a lot.

Another thing that I am very picky on, is what services are running/stop and which ones that start up or manually kick on. A good reference point that I use all the time is Black Viper. He gives very good details on what everything is and gives you ideas what you should on or off for what kind of machine you are running.

Black Viper's Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Service Configurations | Black Viper's Website | www.blackviper.com

Also have you done the Firefox 4 performance tweaks. They do help a little but not a lot.

Thanks for the link. That looks like an interesting read.

Also, I'm still on FF 3.6 since they haven't updated me yet. Should I just update to 4 manually? What are the FF4 tweaks?

I'm kind of wary about disabling services since I did hear that disabling the wrong one can cause some problems. I'll look into it, though.

I tweaked it a few more times. I set the "time to display list of operating systems" to 5 sec. (not sure if this means anything since I'm not running dual operating systems) and then I set it to boot using "max memory" under the boot tab in MSconfig and I set the "Timeout" to 5 sec.

I'm up to my best time so far : 50 sec from power button push for desktop to appear and about another 15 to 20 sec. for Firefox to launch. If I remove the bootskin, this brings desktop time to 47 and FF launch to under a minuet all together

These are the tweaks I normally do to all my machines.
Speed Up Firefox 4 - Tweaks To Pump Up Firefox!!!

The thing about the services is that they can make your pc more secure but could break programs later on. You just got to document what you changed for troubleshooting in the future.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to have to upgrade to 4 give the speed-ups a try.

OK, I just tried a program called Autoruns, but I'm kind of confused by it.

There are a dozen tabs, but I'm not sure if everything under the "EVERTHING" tab is really affecting my start-up. When I look At my "LOGON" tab, it more accurately resembles what my startup msconfig looks like.

Here are some of the things listed in the "everthing tab." Note that there is A LOT more than this.

autorun1.jpg

autorun2.jpg

autorun3.jpg

Here is what the logon tab shows:

logonly.jpg

For my purposes, should I only be concerned with the logon tab?

Thanks for the help.

I downloaded Revo uninstaller and when I click on the "autorun manager", it shows the same programs the are shown in the "log on" tab of the Autoruns program I just mentioned. Perhaps I was right in thinking that all of the items shown in the "Everything" tab of Autoruns aren't too much to be concerned about

I wonder if a lot of these aren't the items listed in the "services" tab of MSCONFIG. I know I haven't disabled any of those.

I think I've done all I can to speed up my boot-time, which stands at about 52 sec., apart from investing in an SSD. Thanks a lot for all of your help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom