Timeouts & Other Network Issues (PLEASE HELP)

Okay so apparently I can now connect to my original modem (BoB Lite) wirelessly! Unfortunately, it's still quite a slow connection, I switch between 2 and 3 bars signal, which is why I started troubleshooting and using the Wireless Access Point in the first place. I tried connecting to the DIR600 with a wired connection, but it just says I'm connected to an Unidentified Network, and that there is no internet connection. I also can't access 'http://192.168.0.1/' in my browser, isn't that the control panel for D-Link routers, therefore I should be able to access it?

Windows also said that it found a problem 'Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration' when I tried to connect to the DIR600 with wired, but I'm not sure if that's actually right.

What should I do now?

The web interface for your router will be whatever your Default Gateway from ipconfig is listed as when you're connected to it.

Do other wired computers have the same issue? Try hooking up via ethernet with another system if you have one and see if they have timeout issues with the same programs.

The web interface for your router will be whatever your Default Gateway from ipconfig is listed as when you're connected to it.

Do other wired computers have the same issue? Try hooking up via ethernet with another system if you have one and see if they have timeout issues with the same programs.
Oh I see, yeah the default gateway is the iiNet IP, so that makes sense.

I can test again tomorrow, but I'm 99% sure that a while ago when I connected my laptop via ethernet it was absolutely fine and there was no timeouts.

EDIT: Yep, I get no timeouts when connecting my other computer via ethernet.

Last edited:
Well you know it's not your modem/router if it does not drop out with another pc.
Try uninstalling your ethernet card via the device manager and re-install (reboot works) a new downloaded driver. If that still does not help then I suggest you try another ethernet card, if it's not embedded on the motherboard. If it is embedded then you'll have to disable it from the bios and try an external ethernet card (connects to the pcmcia slot, but you might be able to find a USB card)

Last edited:
Well you know it's not your modem/router if it does not drop out with another pc.
Try uninstalling your ethernet card via the device manager and re-install (reboot works) a new downloaded driver. If that still does not help then I suggest you try another ethernet card, if it's not embedded on the motherboard. If it is embedded then you'll have to disable it from the bios and try an external ethernet card (connects to the pcmcia slot, but you might be able to find a USB card)

Hmm, I purchased a Network Interface Card (NIC) a little while ago, and I still got the timeouts when using it though. That's the same as this 'ethernet card' right?

yes a NIC is the same as an ethernet card
Have you uninstalled it through the device manager, including the drivers and rebooted and re-installed the driver yet?

yes a NIC is the same as an ethernet card
Have you uninstalled it through the device manager, including the drivers and rebooted and re-installed the driver yet?

Hmm, I feel like I've done a lot of this before. Instead of troubleshooting this, could we possibly try troubleshooting why I can't connect to the other modem (DIR600) with a wired connection? Whenever I try to connect to it it says Unidentified Network - No Internet Connection, or something like that. If I was able to connect to this modem then I'd probably be able to have faster speeds with no timeouts!

That DIR 600 is not designed to work as a AP or a wireless bridge:
D-Link DIR, DSL and DGL series routers do not officially any support or offer any Bridging or Relaying options for Routers. Many users have asked why. For business and legal reasons, D-Link doesn't provide these options for these model host wireless routers.
However, D-Link does offer other devices that will work in conjunction to these host routers. D-Link DAP model devices. These are dedicated AP/Bridging devices and some have Relaying:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=t22397uvre4tji3tqeqmb81mb6&topic=50738.0

What you can do if your very careful, you can install DD-WRT firmware on the router and make it usable for an Access Point or a wireless bridge
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DIR-600

If you are not very careful....you will brick your router and you'll have to buy a new router, but then you can get a better router

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom