Time for a new mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isolize

Baseband Member
Okay, I'd contemplated upgrading my motherboard before - but now I need to. You see, I have a Dell mobo with integrated graphics. That was okay until I started upping the multimedia dosages. I got myself a video card - an ATI Radeon 8500 128MB video card (for free, long story). the problem is, it's an AGP card. I don't know anything about PCI/AGP slots, but I know that the slots on the card don't go into the corresponding slots on the motherboard. My motherboard's slots look like this:

motherboard0014cx.jpg

The card (or a similar model):

8500-oem.jpg

So I need a new motherboard. What worries me is the connection between the motherboard and the processor - I know absolutely nothing about chipsets and that. I have a 2.4GHz Celeron. If you need some other information on it just let me know where to find it, I'll get it. I need a motherboard that, of course, I'll be able to upgrade the processor in eventually.

As I understand, Dell cases don't allow for thirt party motherboards. Fair enough, cases don't cost a fortune or anything. What I need is the information on the motherboard.

Please, if you can lend a hand here in helping me choose a motherboard (preferable an affordable (under $100 at warehouse prices), maybe Asus if possible). I'll give you whatever further information you need on my configuration - just let me know where to find it if you don't think I'll be able to.

Thanks a lot to anybody who can give me their input. :)

Funny thing about the first picture, it has a spot on the motherboard that looks like where an AGP slot should be. It's right above the PCI slots a bit unaligned from them. Well, you need a socket 478 motherboard with an AGP slot. I don't know what the best brands and boards are for the 478 sockets, so I'll leave that to someone else.

But yeah, upgrading a Dell is a tough task. You might need a new PSU too. I've heard of people putting a new motherboard in a Dell and their PSU frying it due to incompatibility or something.

Hmm, I haden't noticed the actual pin holes and all for the AGP slot before - just that there was one panel without a slot, which seemed a bit wierd. It wouldn't be possible to just plonk one in or pay a computer shop to do so, though, would it? I kind of doubt it, but you know better than me.

I've heard the rumors about the PSU as well.

Anyways - thanks for the reply and information!

It may be possible, but that's out of my range of knowledge. I'd doubt it though. You probably should just go ahead and get another motherboard.

Thanks again.

I've gone through a few motherboards on eBay. the most reasonable and best looking ones I've found are below - any suggestions as to which one may be best for me, if either?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/P4V8X-MX-ASUS-SK...8QQihZ011QQcategoryZ80158QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/INTEL-D865-P4-S-...60QQihZ016QQcategoryZ1244QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just another quick note, I'd like three or more RAM slots as I currently have two sticks of RAM, and I'd like to upgrade in the near future without loding any of my current RAM. My RAM details are below if it makes any difference to choosing a motherboard: 1 256mb stick at 2700 and one 512MB stick at 3200. I know the speed difference isn't optimal, but I'm not worried about it.

nope.. you cannot just plonk one in... resign yourself to this mobo for a time and save your money... build a whole new system... maybe you can take the optical dive, floppy, etc... from that one you have now, but to replace the mobo of a "Dell" Uh uhh.... you ain't doin it... with all the dell hardware and driver that you cannot get rid of (kinda like a virus) with Dell... you'd be better off building your own

Definetly the ASUS out of those two, but you might want to see if you can find them on a hardware site like www.newegg.com . Buying any hardware on eBay is risky, and a motherboard riskier than anything given the amount of things that could go wrong.

New egg doesn't ship to canada, unfortunately - it's really stupid considering we're a border away, and quite a shame, but oh well. Tiger direct (a canadian one, probably the most popular) doesn't have too much either with low pricing. I'll see what I can find, though. Further advice is still welcome, but thanks a bunch NathanM and Nukem. :)

NathanM said:
Funny thing about the first picture, it has a spot on the motherboard that looks like where an AGP slot should be. It's right above the PCI slots a bit unaligned from them.

lol ya it looks like someone broke the agp slot and pulled it right off the mobo. Thats weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom