Thoughts on my system build?

sw0mgt

Beta member
I'm building a new computer for professional audio production. Major concerns are quietness, performance for pro audio, and stability with my audio software (Pro Tools 8 LE).

CPU:
I chose the i7-3930k LGA 2011 (six-core) because they were rated the king of the hill for stability and performance for Pro Tools.

Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

RAM:
I chose 32GB of RAM because I plan on actually using it. Single audio sample libraries can run 40 gbs, so I wanted as much RAM as possible. I chose 8GB kits so I can upgrade to 64GB next year. I chose 1866 RAM because it was only $15 more than 1600 RAM, and I don't expect much better performance from 2100 or 2400. I chose G.SKILL because everybody loves G.SKILL lately.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL10Q-32GBZL

Motherboard:
I chose the Asus P9X79 Deluxe because it has great sound (for leisure, mp3s, etc.) and onboard WiFi (which I need). However, the board has a 50% rating on NewEgg with customers complaining about receiving 2 or 3 defunct boards in a row. So I am considering changing boards, or dropping ASUS altogether and going for Gigabyte. Stability/reliability is the most important thing to me, as I DON'T want to spend months RMA'ing defunct boards. Any suggestions or thoughts on the Deluxe?

ASUS P9X79 DELUXE LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Thermal Compound:
Prolimatech has outperformed AS5 and other compounds on almost every benchmark I've seen:

Prolimatech PRO-PK1-5G PK-1 Thermal Compound - 5 Gram

Heatsink:
I chose the Noctua NH-D14 because it is consistently rated as the best air-cooler on the market. It is spoken of as the best combination of air-flow and quietness. Plus, paired with my case, it offers sick airflow (see my case-choice for a picture).

Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 140mm and 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

Case:
I chose the FT02 because it is a silent case, beautiful, and one of the best coolers out there. Sound insulated foam, 3 large quiet 180mm fans, one-way pressurized air-flow. This case gets wonderful reviews :)

SilverStone Fortress Series SST-FT02B-USB3.0 Black 4.5mm aluminum unibody frame, 0.8mm steel body ATX Mid Tower Computer

IMG_0058.jpg

FT02 (case) with NH-D14 (cooler): All seven fans flow in one direction! Pressurized, directional airflow driven by 3 quiet 180mm fans on the bottom blowing out 1 120mm fan on the top. Natural convection at its best!

SSDs:
Rated good for reliability. Cheaper than one 256GB drive. I will use one for reading sample data and one as an OS boot drive.
2x Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

HDDs: (already purchased)
I will write my audio data to these drives.
1 x SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT 650W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified ...Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVDS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal AV Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

GPU: (already purchased)
Not the best choice as the fan is loud and it generates a ton of heat, but I'm trying to recycle parts. I will never use my computer for gaming. Just need to project to a monitor.
EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU: (already purchased)
I have been told by numerous folks that this PSU is good enough for my purposes, but I still worry it's either too old (bought in 2007) or it doesn't deliver enough power.
SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT 650W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified ...

1394a: (already purchased)
Will fit in an PCIe.
SIIG FireWire 2-Port PCIe Model NN-E20012-S2

DVD-ROM: (already purchased)
1 x PLEXTOR 18X DVD±R Super Multi DVD Burner Black SATA Model PX-810SA/SW-BL

Fan controller:
Scythe Kaze Master Pro 5.25 Fan Controller

Fan: (to replace the loud 120mm case fan)
Scythe SY1225SL12L 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan

looks pretty good. I'm pretty sure that the psu will be fine.

if youre going for quiet and you dont plan on gaming, you should really consider getting a new gpu. with the great airflow that you are expecting, you should consider getting a fanless design. for $50 - $75 you can get more than you need.

if you are really going for quiet, i dont understand why you want so many fans. the case seems like it will help with the noise, but you may be better off going with water cooling like an h100 for as much money as you have in extra fans and fan controllers.

Will work great for what you want it to do. Seasonic is the OEM for Corsair PSUs so good there too. Plenty of power for audio work, lots of RAM for samples. Depending on how much you are doing you might want to reconsider the 500GB drive, but I'm not sure how much you will be storing. I know when I was doing a dip into studio recording I filled a 1TB with FLAC in just one 3 set recording session! :omg: All in all, I think you'll be really happy with this setup.

Back
Top Bottom