Thoughts on my setup

themightyquinn

Beta member
Just lookin for some advice. My idea is to build a decent PC, with low cost. I just bought a Thinkpad laptop for college, so I'm building this for my family (average use...word processing, aim, email, internet, movies, downloading, music, movies, the occasional game like DoW, etc.). I want it to be pretty up to date, but obviously I don't need top of the line components:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz
Video Card: ASUS GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
DVD Drive: SAMSUNG E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner
Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
RAM: WINTEC AMPO 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) (x3)

Still not sure on the power supply. Can anyone give me a hand there, and in anything else I've missed?

Thanks!

Wow, for a low cost PC, that is quite an impressive list of specs. Congrats on the parts if that's what you want. As for the power supply, I really like this one. It doesn't have a fancy name like the others but I like the specs on it:

Rosewill Stallion Series RD550N-2DB-SL-BK ATX 12V V2.2/ EPS 12V Black 550W Active PFC Power Supply - SLI Ready Auto Switching ( 90-264V ) UL, FCC - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182089
$67.99
3 Business Day Shipping $8.22

I even included the price too so you can get a quick glance at what you're dealing with.

Make sure you get some case fans too. As for the cables, your motherboard should provide a bunch of them. I didn't click on your links to explore your parts in depth, but from the description of it, it looks really good and everything should work fine. Knowing that your motherboard uses the Nvidia 6 series chipset, I'm sure you are ready for the future and everything you add to it will work.

:D

Great man, it's good to hear. Thanks for the power supply suggestion...I was thinking somewhere in the 500w range, but there were alot to choose from.

I'm pretty set on these components, but I've never custom built a PC myself before. I've taken their current one apart tons of times, so installation won't be a problem. The one place where I'm a little unsure is software and drivers. I have an XP Pro disc, and then whatever discs come with the hardware. What else am I going to need to get this baby up and running? Keep in mind...I'll be setting it up, and can do advanced stuff now (installation, BIOS, etc.) but once I leave they're the only ones who use it, so ease-of-use-wise, it's gotta be as simply for them as the HP they have now.

Any other suggestions appreciated!

The only other software you will need are the motherboard drivers. That you will have, once you get your new motherboard. There is a CD that comes with it. So that's all good there. I feel you're all set and have everything.

Another thing is since this is your first PC build, always be careful about grounding yourself. Don't accidently touch your screwdriver with any of the busses that's on the motherboard or other components. Especially after it's been powered on and shut down again. They still hold charges.

Don't bend or touch any pins. Handle the edges of all parts. Don't apply hard or forceful pressure when installing CPU, RAM, cables on the motherboard, etc.

Make sure the power supply itself isn't plugged into the wall either when installing all this stuff either.

Steps for me when getting a new build going:

Lay down case on a big surface table--hookup power supply to case--unwrap motherboard and lay down on the antistatic sheet--install RAM--install video card--install CPU--then put it as close to the case as possible (you'll be wiring up the case to the motherboard next--ie, RESET switch, HDD light, PWR switch, etc)--connect case wires to motherboard--connect monitor cable to video card--hookup power cable from PSU to wall outlet--power on for initial testing.

Notice that I didn't install anything into the case yet besides the PSU. I want to make sure everything is running the way it should for troubleshooting purposes. I look for the RAM count at startup, then whatever messages it appears. That's a good sign if you see that. Of course, no hard drive is installed yet so you will get nothing. Initial test--successful.

You'll get different responses to how others may build or suggestions for different PSU. As you have mentioned, there are many to choose from.

I took a look at the PSU, and it looks like exactly what I need.

I'm a pretty technical guy, so I'm sure I'll have no trouble putting this together. Thanks again for the help!

Oh, that's good. Yeah, I like that power supply too but Rosewill is unheard of these days. Most people like to go with Antec, Coolmax, Thermaltake, Enermax, because they're huge company that make proven PSU.

lol if thats a low cost build id luv to see your expensive / luxury build,

nice rig BTW

Back
Top Bottom