This Ticks Me Off Beyond All Belief

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah, i must have read it with an angered inflection in my mind...thats the thing i hate about online stuff....never get the underlying message.....they don't discourage it at all...i think it actually promotes it in someways...but a civil discussion leads to a flame war at the drop of a hat..and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference

I kinda agree...you always had the chance for a good life. If you blew it, that's your own fault. Everyone gets a public education, that's the point of the public education system. If you choose to slack off, burn your homework while partying with friends, and then flunk out and work Wal-Mart all your life and never have any money, that's your choice. If you work hard and graduate with a nice GPA, you can get into a college and earn a degree to get a good career. That is your choice.

Even if you graduate high school with a good GPA and can't afford college, you can at least study more advanced topics on your own, there are plenty of free resources now that we have the Internet that a person set on learning could, with enough motivation, teach him/herself skills just from studying materials found freely online. They might not have a degree but they may be able to test out of things, and people will see their dedication.

If you just want to work Wal-Mart all your life, fine by me, as long as you're satisfied with what they pay you, go ahead and live your life. Just don't complain that you "didn't get a chance in grade school" and "got stuck working Wal-Mart" because, if you were an American citizen (or other nation with public schooling), you had your chance.

As for those who didn't have that education or have some sort of physical impairment, they are exempt, as it was not their fault that they didn't get such education. Also, elderly people usually work retail jobs because they retired from their previous job and now just want something to do to earn some money. Firing the guy for being nice is ridiculous and a dumb move on Wal-Mart's part.

i think this discussion is quite civil and dont see any kind of potential flaming.
to aaron:
we dont discourage debate. we dislike personal attacks (which opinionated topics sometimes lead to), and i see none of that so no worries.

i agree with aaron and calc.
peoples lot in life is 95% their own doing. as far as accountablilty goes, aaron, you are absolutely correct...there is NONE these days. there is always someone else to blame for your own mistakes. plus, look at how our gov't is giving money away like every day is christmas. is that teaching the younger people responsibility? no, its showing them that if you screw up, someone has an OBLIGATION to rectify your mistakes. i use that as an example, but it is just the tip of the iceberg. the examples abound and encompass everything from parenting to welfare and the public school system.

to peter:
yes, if someone worked at enron they rolled the dice. it may not be their fault, but the responsibility ultimately falls on them for taking a job at a company such as that.
to those who had their retirement in the stock market, they rolled the dice. the stock market is not and has never been a safe investment. if you want a safe investment, CD's, online savings accounts and government bonds are as safe as it gets. people risked their money for the potential of a higher return. that is part of the market system, and unfortunately for them, they crapped out. which is why i have my savings/retirement/fun money in an online savings account instead of the stock market. i may only earn 4% interest (which is A LOT for a savings account), but...i still have ALL my money. its a trade off. plus, the people who manipulate the stock market are almost 100% responsible for the current state of this country's economy...so i really have no sympathy/empathy for them AT ALL. i think the majority of them got what wa coming to them. especially the oil speculators. i hope they are all broke.
in regards to the topic, that is absoultely ridiculous. and kind of evil.

There's always a choice, I'm tired of hearing excuses from everybody. You're in control of your life, your actions can change your life. If people spend all the time they do complaining about the things that are preventing them from moving on, and actually did something productive with that time then their lives would be different.

Personal accountability/responsibility ... why does no one value this anymore?

Sorry but when 100% of the companies in your local area are firing and laying off people, you don't have a choice but take what is there... Such as walmart... Even though here the average worker works for 3 weeks then gets fired... Harrodsburg ky is a shiphole...

But seriously, I would sue them for the $1300 and for firing of his job, as long as he was on a lunch break they can't do anything about it.

So you're saying a company is not allowed to regulate what happens on their property as they see fit? Just cause he is on lunch break doesn't entitle him to do whatever he wants.

Alright to end this debate once and for all.

It is again the WalMart Policy to do such a thing. It is written in the policy that each employee signs as part of their agreement for employment.

The reason?

It is not a sanctioned WalMart function. It is just like the Girl Scout Cookies for sale outside. They have to ask, in writting to the Store Manager, who then proceeds to send it up the ladder to the Regional Manager and then to the District Manager to ask for permission for those cookies to be sold on the property at a agreed upon time.

If you wish to bring in even cookies or candy bars for your own childs fund raiser you have to ask permission and make sure that it is know that it is not sponsored or funded by WalMart in order to be able to do it.

Now if this person was allowed to get away with this next year at Christmas time people will be looking for this. They will be looking for the person who was handing out gift cards in a WalMart uniform hoping to get a free $10 to spend there.

He did it of his own free will and honestly i think it was great of him. But he did not follow policy. He went against what he agreed to in his terms of employment. Therefor he can, and was, fired on the spot and forfeits all rights to sue cause of it. He violated his agreement. He will get nothing.

If he would have just ASKED first, and took off his uniform, i bet you the cards he was giving away, that it would have been allowed. But he did it without permission. That is his own fault.

If he would have even went to a different store it would have been fine. If he would have done it while not working that would have been fine. But doing it on Lunch and in Uniform makes it seem like it was a WalMart sanctioned function. Which it was not.

That is the truth. 110% of it. The story is only giving you information that it wants. It doesnt tell you nothing about the fact that it is against store and company policy to do such things.

It is his own fault. If he would have taken 5 minutes of his time to ASK first. We would be hearing of the "Great Christmas Spirit" by a WalMart employee instead of hearing this "WalMArt is evil for firing" someone so close to XMas.

They did what was within their right. He violated policy and got what everyone who violates policy gets.

I think it's more a question of ethics than legality, Mak. Sure they had the right to fire him, but does that mean they should've? Even if you don't think it's bad spirit, the administration who fired him could've foreseen the bad publicity. It was a bad business move.

yes, if someone worked at enron they rolled the dice. it may not be their fault, but the responsibility ultimately falls on them for taking a job at a company such as that.

What about the thousands automobile employees who got laid off? Surely some of them were only a decade or less away from retirement. They worked at the factories for most of their life so they could feed and cloth their families. Are you saying that they too rolled the dice by taking a stable, respectable job early in their life instead of getting more in debt so they could get a doctor's or pursue something more illustrious? What do you suggest they do now? There's no way they're going back to get a better education or living off a savings account.

marblez the aid the auto companies are asking the Government for is to pay the workers. The executives have already gotten PAID!! But because they can't afford to pay their workers anymore, they are asking for aid. Which when they receive, they will more then likely blow, and continue to layoff workers anyways.

Sure its not ethical, but with ethics, and morales they wouldn't have anything to wipe their ***** with.

dollar-toliet-paper.jpg

Is that a world you want to live in? A world executives have to use normal toilet paper?

1charmin-bear-717426.jpg

*Shivers*

I think it's more a question of ethics than legality, Mak. Sure they had the right to fire him, but does that mean they should've? Even if you don't think it's bad spirit, the administration who fired him could've foreseen the bad publicity. It was a bad business move.

What about the thousands automobile employees who got laid off? Surely some of them were only a decade or less away from retirement. They worked at the factories for most of their life so they could feed and cloth their families. Are you saying that they too rolled the dice by taking a stable, respectable job early in their life instead of getting more in debt so they could get a doctor's or pursue something more illustrious? What do you suggest they do now? There's no way they're going back to get a better education or living off a savings account.

You are talking about 2 different industries that have no right to be compared.

Yes they should have fired him. He violated policy. End of story. Just like the forums. You violate policy you get punished. No playing nice "cause your a good person". What happens next time he does something wrong? Dont punish him cause he gave out $1300?

You agreed to their terms when you were hired. You agreed that you would NOT do something like this before you asked for permission. He didnt. Got caught. Break the rules you deal with the consequences.

Morally and ethically they were RIGHT. They have rules in place for a reason. Not so that someone with a good heart and spirit can come along and break them. If that was the case then every Religion would have a arguement for not being fired from a job ever.

Now i am not causing a Religious fight. I am not saying anything more than someone who has Religious beliefs could use that excuse to stop them from getting fired.

The Auto industry can NOT be compared to WalMart. WalMart makes $350 BILLION in PROFIT a year. They are not asking the Govt for anything and therefor do not have to finds ways to keep their people.

The car industry did this to itself. They have jacked up the prices of their cars for so long. Tell me this, why is it that car prices are more expensive each year when the cost to produce the car is less each year?

They went to foreign steel, less than what it cost them to use domestic. Costing the Steel industry it jobs and workers. I know. I worked at Bethlehem Steel. THEY helped me lose my job. Am i bitter at the American Car industry? No. I got a new job. THEY DID this to themselves. They got greedy and now they have to find a way to still make a profit while giving their workers a job.

If they had stopped being greedy for 5 minutes and really thought about it maybe they wouldnt have kept jacking up the prices so much on these cars when it cost them less to make them. The Car Industry doesnt get any love from me cause it already cost me my job once. It has already cost my family some jobs cause of "Early retirement" and so on. These idiots were so worried about getting rich fast they didnt stop to think if they should.

Trying to compare the 2 is insane cause 1 is the outcome of their own doing while the other is trying to enforce it rules.

WalMart SHOULD have fired him just because they need to let people know that the rules are the rules. They are there for a reason just like the law. Even the law broken for a good reason is still breaking the law and you are punished. Same story. Break the rules, deal with the consequences.

I dont care about the ethics if they should have. HE SHOULD have asked first. 5 minutes to ask the Store Manager would have stopped it all. Jsut a Quick "Hey can i give out gift cards when i get off work today?"

That would have prevented him from getting fired and this story making WalMart to look bad. Would that have been so tough? No.

Instead he goes to the nearest reporter and blabs his story and they release it making WalMart look bad and not telling them that "Oh by the way it is against company policy to do so and all I had to do was ask but i was to lazy to".

Sorry but i do not feel bad for someone who just had to ask a simple question. I already typed it out. He just had to say it.

No they were not morally or ethically wrong. They did what they were supposed to. If he did was he was supposed to. Then we wouldnt be talking about it right now.

Mak said:
The car industry did this to itself. They have jacked up the prices of their cars for so long. Tell me this, why is it that car prices are more expensive each year when the cost to produce the car is less each year?

They went to foreign steel, less than what it cost them to use domestic. Costing the Steel industry it jobs and workers. I know. I worked at Bethlehem Steel. THEY helped me lose my job. Am i bitter at the American Car industry? No. I got a new job. THEY DID this to themselves. They got greedy and now they have to find a way to still make a profit while giving their workers a job.

If they had stopped being greedy for 5 minutes and really thought about it maybe they wouldnt have kept jacking up the prices so much on these cars when it cost them less to make them. The Car Industry doesnt get any love from me cause it already cost me my job once. It has already cost my family some jobs cause of "Early retirement" and so on. These idiots were so worried about getting rich fast they didnt stop to think if they should.

Trying to compare the 2 is insane cause 1 is the outcome of their own doing while the other is trying to enforce it rules.

WalMart SHOULD have fired him just because they need to let people know that the rules are the rules. They are there for a reason just like the law. Even the law broken for a good reason is still breaking the law and you are punished. Same story. Break the rules, deal with the consequences.

I dont care about the ethics if they should have. HE SHOULD have asked first. 5 minutes to ask the Store Manager would have stopped it all. Jsut a Quick "Hey can i give out gift cards when i get off work today?"

That would have prevented him from getting fired and this story making WalMart to look bad. Would that have been so tough? No.

Instead he goes to the nearest reporter and blabs his story and they release it making WalMart look bad and not telling them that "Oh by the way it is against company policy to do so and all I had to do was ask but i was to lazy to".

Sorry but i do not feel bad for someone who just had to ask a simple question. I already typed it out. He just had to say it.

No they were not morally or ethically wrong. They did what they were supposed to. If he did was he was supposed to. Then we wouldnt be talking about it right now.

I agree with you. It would have been one thing if he was standing outside one day while not getting paid to be there, giving out gifts. He was getting paid to do a service, and he wasn't. That's the problem. Nobody can deny that it was a nice gesture, because it was a great thing that one person tries to spread some joy. But as Mak said, rules ARE rules. If you're paying an employee to get work done, and they're not doing it, they shouldn't be getting paid for it.

On a side note, the reason the american auto companies failed is because they want 25000 dollars for a truck that gets 10 miles to the gallon, and when gas is 4.00 a gallon, that's a TON of money yearly. So, people say to themselves, I can buy myself a Ford truck, or a smaller Toyota for less and get a better quality car that will last longer and be more fuel efficient. Companies like Ford didn't realize this, and continued advertising these trucks.

And at the people that say everyone has the opportunity to get a better job than Walmart, that's not totally true. Some people come to the county illegally, and they can't afford to spend years in school. They need money from a place that they'll get paid some money and won't get questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom