This mobo

i think hes just looking for a motherboard to use with his excisting cpu...and as for the pentium lovers they will be laughing at amd when conroe is released

Socket 478 is outdated. You might as well go with LGA775 and wait for Core 2 Duo. It won't be that expensive. If you must, then I guess that motherboard isn't bad. You can't really compare it to LGA775 motherboards though...

I use socket 478 also, and I am starting to feel the pressure of the age, which is why I plan to upgrade soon. However, lhuser, if you can, get the AsRock P4 Dual 880PRO

It's the one I have, with the AGP & PCI-e slot, which you can use at the same time, and use a wannabe SLI type config, it has two SATA ports, and then the standard stuff. Four memory slots, support up to 8GB, or 4GB, (not too sure) - up to DDR400, PC3200.

It's the most fantastic board I have ever had, and oh yeah, 7.1 onboard sound.

If your building a new PC, I'd go with what alvino said - he is a Guru after all ;)

Core Duo 2 will be amazing. But I'm not completely sure that current motherboards will be able to run Core Duo 2s with just a BIOS update - it might require a new chipset, and therefore a new motherboard.

Enlighten me someone!

The cheapest Core 2 Duo that is still dual-core will cost about $183. I think it runs at 1.83Ghz, but it's still a great price. :)

Lhuser, ASRock isn't bad. I'm currently using their 939Dual-SATA2 and it's awesome. Great for those who currently have AGP, but seek to upgrade later. :) Overclocking options are limited, but for a budget board, you can't expect much from it. I got it for about $68, so it's pretty nice.

Well, that impresses me. I thought they were at $300...and I don't want to go higher than 200 on a frikin' CPU.

Okay, here's the deal:
if I buy a newer mobo for Core 2 Duo and a 7600GT (SLIable so I can buy another one afterwars), will I be able to hit $750? (With a valueRAM DDR2-667)

Is Core 2 Duo 65nm and/or Conroe?
Sorry, I am not used to their newer technology as of yet. :(

Umm - I doubt it. Your looking at around $300 for the motherboard at first, especially for those with SLI and half decent features. For example, the new AM2 boards over here around £150, and they don't even have memory controllers on them.

Conroe is the code name for a type of Core 2 Duo - the one with 4MB of cache. Allendale is the code name for the other type of Core 2 Duo - the one with 2MB of cache.

65nm is the size of the wafer or something like that - basically, the lower the number the more transistors which can fit onto a piece of silicon, and so the lower the heat (for some reason).

Back
Top Bottom