This is why I cannot have any friends around where I live...

Where do you live? I think the last time I was offered any type of drug or weed for purchase was when I was in college back in the late 1970's. If I wanted to buy something I could probably find a neighborhood where it was available but not in the neighborhood I live in or where I hang out.
I live in Balch Springs Texas.

@Smart_Guy: I did not want any other contact with him. You (not you, him) do end up crossing a line that I am not willing to go.

Its not just that one guy that keeps me from being able to have friends around where I live. But before he started his crap, he seemed like a good guy to get to know.
Everyone else around here I do not trust. Drug related arrests happen a lot, and the police are called almost on a daily basis. I do not trust my neighbors, or really anyone else that lives around here.

Then why do you live in an area that you dislike/not trust the people? or are you only making assumptions that every one is bad.

Its not just that one guy that keeps me from being able to have friends around where I live. But before he started his crap, he seemed like a good guy to get to know.
Everyone else around here I do not trust. Drug related arrests happen a lot, and the police are called almost on a daily basis. I do not trust my neighbors, or really anyone else that lives around here.

Why let this one person get in your way of making new friends, If you don't like him then cut all ties with him and move on. I live in a neighborhood where trouble goes on but lots of the people are very nice. I am have friends in the area but I don't let others that I don't like get in my way, I just don't associate with them its as simple as that..

BK 123 makes a good point I also live in a neighbourhood that is suppose to be real bad but yet most of the people I associate with are law abiding, I only talk to a couple of my neighbours for the rest I do not have any problems to worry about.

Oh for you comment of saying you have no choice, well that is bull shit, every one has a choice in their life.

BK 123 makes a good point I also live in a neighbourhood that is suppose to be real bad but yet most of the people I associate with are law abiding, I only talk to a couple of my neighbours for the rest I do not have any problems to worry about.

Oh for you comment of saying you have no choice, well that is bull shit, every one has a choice in their life.

Yes this is the same for my neighborhood. My suburb has been given a bad name and reputation because of our housing as a lot of it is housing comission and ex-housing commission and the activities that happen around the suburb but in recent years it changed. I've lived in other neighborhoods that have people who give the place a bad name and I just don't associate them. I have neighbors who are very nice, When we first moved to 7 years ago the first few days we got the impression our neighbors were bad and like bogans (Its an Australian thing Urban Dictionary: bogan) and once we got to know them they are really nice people who always keep a look out. One guy up the road a bit can be a bit nosy but its good to have to someone like that.

Sorry if I am hijacking your thread OP..

Ybogans (Its an Australian thing Urban Dictionary: bogan)
the word may be Australian, but the phenomenon certainly isn't!

I completely get what Draygoes is saying about not having a choice.
when I used to live in a different city, I was "forced" to live in a neighbourhood I could afford, affordable (to a young only just starting in the workplace) houses are not in the best areas.

and whilst the communities tend to be quite vibrant places full of characters there is only so many times that you want to:

Be accosted by crack whores, -no, I don't want to have sex with you, certainly not down that alley, pleading fro me to buy your services doesn't make it any more attractive, and nobody ever slept with a hooker because they were made to feel guilty, telling me how you need the money to feed your kids will not make me think that this is money well invested, track marks up your arm make me think I may get more than a fun time...(this was at 6:30am as I was walking to the train station to get to work).

See people fighting in the streets: it's neither big hard nor clever, and the way that violence seemed to escalate in the area, it was not really something that you'd want to get involved in.

Hear sirens: to some people the sound of sirens are a welcome sound of the hand of the law protecting you, but when you hear them several times a day it just enforces that you live in a really crappy place.

Walk past evidence markers on your way to work. (actually the day that happened I was surprised at just how far someone bleeding profusely could get!)

Come home to find that you can't actually get home because the road is closed and full of forensic teams trying to recover evidence as people are routinely being stabbed in the streets -quite literally outside your house.

In the year and a half I lived in that place there were at least 4 people who died less than 50 yards from my house. actual crack whores and dens less than a quarter of a mile from my house.

But you have to stay there because you literally cannot just up an move to a nicer place because nicer places tend to cost more money.

As it happens though, a lot of the people there WERE and ARE really nice people, there were people who would look out for each other, as well as various idiots who thought that being in a gang would be really fun.

Essentially, I get where you;re coming from Draygoes, but don't let one guy being a dick make you think that everyone around you is.

@root: First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing your story.
As it happens though, a lot of the people there WERE and ARE really nice people, there were people who would look out for each other, as well as various idiots who thought that being in a gang would be really fun.

Essentially, I get where you;re coming from Draygoes, but don't let one guy being a dick make you think that everyone around you is.
I do not let a single person decide if I make friends or not, he is just one example.

@Everyone else:
There are several things that our little town is known for. Guy holds up convince store with a snapping turtle. Fights that happen all of the time, some of which include the use of fire arms or other weapons. Lots of break-ins. These are just common things around where I live. Neighbors do not trust people. The last neighbor that I tried to contact opened his door just enough that he could see me. And that was a case of returning his dog that had gotten out for him.

The closest I came to meeting someone that I could be friends with was the guy mentioned above. But after hearing his crap, I chose to have no further contact with him. You do not brag about fights, lie while doing so, and expect me to want to be around you. Its that simple.

EDIT: This is also why I have not married Cynthia yet. Because I do not wish to have her live around and be afraid all the time.

Last edited:
In certain parts of certain cities, yes.

That doesn't mean the police aren't around, but they can only be so many places at one time.

Back
Top Bottom