This Dell won't shutdown!

I'd normally say call dell, but considering their support is useless and hard as heck to understand, you're best off not doing that. I'd say try opening up the PC and see if anything looks out of order, also try making sure the power on after power failure setting is in tact, or even try modifying the setting.

You could do a dell chat. Than you could understand them better, its slower, but you could do other things online while talking.

hmm alright. I'll see about swapping the psu then and see. I probably won't try to deal with dell's tech support. I own a dell of my own and let's just say I've had a few bad experiences with their "support". lol. particularly with a lady named Kim who I had to talk with on three consecutive calls.

the clicking could be part of teh transformer in the PSU, or a fan going inside it.

nothing can beat gateway's tech support tho. a Customer came into work today with a brand-spanking new gateway that they had to send back three times to gateway because it could not reconize thier harddrive. (in the two months they owned the computer, they were never able to get it into windows once). When the comptuer came back from gateway "fixed" it came with a list of three people who looked at the system and checked things out. three lists and nine different people looking at the comptuer somehow missed connecing the SATA cable to the motherboard. isn't that "hard drive not working 101"?

LOL wow that's very sad. btw, I read that some dell PSU's are different than regular ones, and replacing it with a different one could wreck the mobo... anyone know if this is true?

i know that some are proprietary to the case/ case proprietary to the PSU so only a dell made PSU will fit inside and get a good secure skrew-down on the case, but i have never heard of that before.

ok, now the powersupply that I have and intended to try in the dell apparently isnt compatible with the mobo because it won't plug into it, but while I had the dell psu completely disconnected from the dell, I plugged it in to the wall and the fan started right up, isn't this wrong in itself? I thought that not even that should start until it recieved some kind of signal from the mobo or something.

i've seen a few start up by themselves, good ones that is. did it make that clicking while it was not pluged into the mobo?

no the clicking was coming from the cd drives, I was just trying to say that they were spinning and they were making some noise so that's how I knew.

Back
Top Bottom