This Damn Blinking Cursor!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
I just finished installing Slackware 10.1. It was a pain in the ass figuring that out, and I'm sure it is not a nice clean stable install neither. But for now, it will be fine. I'm just learning, so it will suffice nicely. So now I installed everything, afaik, correctly. Restarted and now am stuck at a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corener. I'm thinking back to my Jurassic Park days, when that meants all we needed to do was restart the system. Tried that, no dice. Any suggestions?

After you log on as root see here for details on how to configure X. Once you've done that type startx to launch your desktop.

Nothing, no such file or directory exists. I tried xsetup, setupx, xorgsetup, and xorgconfig, and I keep getting the same error each time.

yeah i know i just jumped in, but it's not like it is going to cost me money if I screw up or anything. It is the best way to learn, hands on. I will be reading though, I had every intent on doing so. but I wanted linux here at work, asap, so I had something to do. It gets so boring here, I have almost nothing to do, so why not have my work pay me to learn Linux, right? :D

Looks like I have some reading and some meddling to do.

Thanks!

I figured I would pretty much have to relearn computers once I got the look of Linux. It makes me feel like a serious n00b, I dont like it.

Still no dice on the xstart, or xorgconfig. Nothing is working. :angry: This is really starting to piss me off!

horndude said:
you do have a command prompt right? like slackware login:.......which becomes root@slackware: after you log in

The only way for me to get that right now is to boot from the CD, and then I can get to the root. I still working on it, seems after every restart I get one step closer than I was before.

I got a bad superblock message. When it was mounting the file system, it said something about wrong FS type and will check the FS every 25 mounts or 180 days, whichever comes first. Normal thing to see?

I'm in the process of reinstalling, but I breifly caught another message, something about too many mounts. I'm working on an install right now, will keep you updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom