Thinking of "upgrading" to WD Raptor 10K over my current drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need to install every game to an SSD. Either pick the most load intensive ones, or just the ones you play the most and install everything else to a standard drive. That's what I do. My 30gb has been fine for me. I typically can only have one or two games on it, but I'm fine with that. And after rebate my drive was only 90 bucks. I was using my WD green for my OS before I ordered my SSD and it has been a HUGE performance increase.

Lol well actually I am a gamer, but not in the sense you guys are probably thinking. Im mainly a console gamer, and the only games I really play on the pc is emulation of older consoles, which I happen to do a lot of actually. This isnt an issue as far as the SSD is concerned because all that sort of stuff can be stored on a standard drive, no problem. However, I have gone through lil "phases" of curiosity for PC gaming, but overall it really doesnt appeal to me that much.

95% of my computer use consists of researching stuff online, playing emulated games, downloading stuff, and watching movies/listening to music. I do some Video Encoding every now and then as well.

One thing I REALLY wish I knew more about is how to network. I know absolutely nothing about this and jesus it would be sooooo convenient to have access to information on one computers hard drive from another computer. I have NO idea how to go about making this work though, which really sucks because this would be one of THE most useful things for me. I hear you guys speaking of "Server" pc's, I would love to learn about this and how you would set such a thing up.

I appreciate all of the advice though, I think I can probably wait until I do decide to take the plunge on Windows 7 and hopefully by then, the pricing and the technology on SSD's will have improved a lil.

so could anyone point me torward any good, informative links on networking for accessing information stored on another computer. I havent been able to figure out how to do this on Windows XP, and yes I have tried...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom