Thinking of updating original build

Wolfhunter

Beta member
So, in 2007/2008 I built my first PC. I made some poor choices at the time, such as buying a mobo w/out built in video. I'd had some trouble with getting the video and sound to work. I'm thinking of getting another PCIe x16 video card to try and get it running again, as well as a larger HDD and using the one in the comp (250 GB) as either an external HD or to put the OS after I wipe it.

So, until I can get the money together for a whole new build,this is the card I'm thinking of getting. NVidia GeForce 1GB VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express x16 Video graphics Card+Low profile - Newegg.com

I know things have changed significantly, but I dont want to feel like I threw away all the money I put into the computer, so I want to get it running for now.
Eventually, I'll upgrade and I've already got a pcpartpicker list compiled for that. Any input or help would be appreciated.

What will you be using the graphics card for, Any gaming or just general everyday tasks. That card doesn't specify a specific model. If it will be for everyday tasks then this is a good cheap option ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP) Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card - Newegg.com. For a new hard drive Newegg have a Western Digital 1TB for $59.99 Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com.

If you only need a graphics card to get video signal then definitely go for the one BK chose. It's cheaper.

as well as a larger HDD and using the one in the comp (250 GB) as either an external HD or to put the OS after I wipe it.
I wound't recommend doing that. then rather use it as an external HD.
Harddrives gets slower as the get older. The more you use them the slower they get. And that HDD are 6-7 years old.
You are gonna get more performance out of the new one. and don't you think 1TB is enough?
I wound't add 2 HDD's in my system if there isn't a good reason to. The reason is that it's louder to have 2 rather then only 1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom