Think this would work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently trying to install windows on a blank hard drive. My idea was to buy a IDE 40 PIN cable that allows 2 devices to be put into one cable. I would hook up my 4 GB hard drive and my 120 GB hard drive that is blank to the 2 device cable and leave my CD-ROM drive hooked to the motherboard with a seperate IDE cable. I would then put the windows XP CD into the CD-ROM and format/partition the space on the 120 GB hard drive using the windows XP CD install.

I'm pretty sure this would work but one your opinions before I spend the money.

Thanks,

Shazbot!

stick with one HARD DRIVE :)

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get just one 160 GB HDD and when you have your computer set up and running nicely THEN buy another HDD.

What are the specs of your mobo just to make sure your board can support all them HDDs

I'm planning just to use one hard drive. I just need to install windows on it and then take it out and put it in another computer or sell it. I've put in 2 hard drives before with no problems, so my computer can handle it. Your response didn't really answer the question it asked questions....

IDE Cable...

For a large drive you really need a 80 wire IDE cable. Plugs right in.
Unless it's a really old machine. The 4gigger makes me think it's an older model.

Now as for your sig...

I suggest you annoy the admins and moderators of this website.
I do and they love to be annoyed and pissed off.

I suggest you not... How about editting that in to something a little more friendly. You don't and I will.

shazbot said:
I'm planning just to use one hard drive. I just need to install windows on it and then take it out and put it in another computer or sell it. I've put in 2 hard drives before with no problems, so my computer can handle it. Your response didn't really answer the question it asked questions....

XP doesn't handle Hardware exchange to well though.. im not saying it doesnt work but its just a bitch sometimes... when you install XP on a computer then move the HDD to another computer with completely different hardware.. it might trip out on you.. and it might have problems loading drivers... it will work just sometimes it takes a lil extra time and forcing drivers manually to load.

goodluck... you should've have to many problems.. hell who knows the transition might be smooth for you.

I just need to install windows on it and then take it out and put it in another computer or sell it
The problem w/that is that when you install the OS on a machine it configues all hardware devises on that machine, so if you take it out and install it on a different machine..

The OS will get confused on the configuration and will have to make adjustements, it will work for awhile, but then the 1st config. will make trouble for you. your better off just leaving the hhd in the comp. for the OS you'll be using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom