Think my computer crashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidewalk

Baseband Member
I created this thread about a week ago, and came to find out that my PSU was starting to fail me. While playing the first level of 'Sniper: Ghost Warrior' today, I heard a loud popping sound inside my CPU and instantly sensed a burning smell.

I immediately assumed it was my generic 550w PSU and took it out of my case. The money is tight lately, so I went on eBay to search for another, and bought this one. Was this a deadly crash? Can I still use my harddrive at some point? What about my other components? Are they toast? Was buying this 650w PSU a mistake? Can I just plug this PSU in and pick up where I left off? Lots of questions, thanks in advance.

Specs:
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Pentium D 930 3.0GHz
Presler 65nm Technology
RAM
3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 268MHz (4-4-4-12)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 965P-DS3 (Socket 775)
Graphics
CTL 195UW @ 1440x900
512MB GeForce 8800 GTS 512 (MSI) 60 °C
Hard Drives
488GB Seagate ST3500630AS ATA Device (Unknown Interface) 34 °C

i can understand if money is tight, but replacing a crappy psu with another crappy psu wasn't the best of ideas. just because it's a "gold" psu doesn't make good either... those ebay tricksters XD

i don't think there's any way to tell if the psu took anything out until you install another psu and test it.

it looks like that psu you bought has almost all the connections you need, except for your gfx card. does your gfx card require a pci-e connection? if it does then you're gonna have to get an adapter because that psu does not have one.

i can understand if money is tight, but replacing a crappy psu with another crappy psu wasn't the best of ideas. just because it's a "gold" psu doesn't make good either... those ebay tricksters XD

i don't think there's any way to tell if the psu took anything out until you install another psu and test it.

it looks like that psu you bought has almost all the connections you need, except for your gfx card. does your gfx card require a pci-e connection? if it does then you're gonna have to get an adapter because that psu does not have one.

Well, it lasted a good two-three years, so I'd say it was a pretty decent investment. However if it crashed the rest of my components then you're right. How likely is that, by the way?

Also, my GPU doesn't require a pci.

It can be at least a 50/50 chance that some other component blew. We cant give better numbers or answers cause each case is independent of the others. It is like if you get into a car accident with the same car as me but dont sustain and injury but i do. There is no way we can possibly explain or know if something happened.

It can be at least a 50/50 chance that some other component blew. We cant give better numbers or answers cause each case is independent of the others. It is like if you get into a car accident with the same car as me but dont sustain and injury but i do. There is no way we can possibly explain or know if something happened.

Thanks, that makes me feel a little bit better. I'm glad there's at least a chance.

Alright, so I installed my new 780w PSU yesterday and it's been working wonderfully ever since. Here are my new numbers, any thoughts?

fnqz5.jpg

Here's what they were a couple days before death, with my old 550w PSU:

2yljm11.jpg

What say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom