They really need to replace CD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a shame, floppies where for there time great bit's of movable technology despite not having a huge data capacity they had enough for what they where intended to do and that was to store a file on removable media for sneaker net purposes. I still use them and I have a 5in floppy drive upstairs in a box and I have a very old one that I am not sure works for a bbc micro computer and a lot of disk's to go with them.

To be honest I think peoples needs for data storage on the move is some what over kill, I know people who have everything on a USB stick and i am talking from a copy of there holiday pic's right the way upto every text file they have wanted to save you don't need that much data on you at any one time. I have a 8gb flash drive on my key's now that has about 512mb of data on it and most of that is just junk admittedly I need to clean it out but I also have a 128mb stick right next to it that I keep a fully configured GUI based OS.

Oh and kiddies unless you have made a boot disk to play a game you haven't lived.

Some people have different needs, i am forever transporting pictures, movies and games on my 8gb USB Stick and regularly fill it up past 4gb at least once a week.

Thing is not every one will have such a need for large capacity media regularly, A lad I know went to comet recently and they sold him a laptop and a USB stick of a wopping 16gb in capacity he hasn't even used 256mb of data transferring stuff of his old PC.

I am using just under 512mb I can qute happily live with less if i needed too as most of it is junk, Having said that I am filling a 250 external drive tonight with a lot of stuff but that is for business reasons and it's very rair that I transport that much data at any one time unless you count data tape backups from some client sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom