These smart TVs were apparently spying on their owners

About a month after my parents got a new 4K Samsung smart TV we started experiencing intermittent internet problems every night around 8:00PM-1:00AM. I thought the problem was with our ISP so after a few weeks I called to complain. Time Warner told me they wouldn't do anything until I replaced our 5 year old router, so I did and the problem seemed to stop. A few days later it was back, so I complained to Time Warner again and they said everything on their end was fine. After a few months of this I got fed up and installed DD-WRT on our router and the next time the issue occurred I started looking at the metrics. Turns out the smart TV was uploading a HUGE file each night and killing our internet (we only have like 2Mbps up). I ended up limiting the upload on the TV to 56Kbps and the problem went away.
What model TV is this? I now have 3 Samsung TVs in my house without this problem.

It's a 48-inch UN50JU6500.

They also got a 65" Samsung TV for the living room (don't know the exact model) and it didn't have the same issues.

48 or 50? UN50JU6500 is a 50". I have a UN65KS8500 and a UN48JU6700 along with my kid's TV which is a cheaper 40". All of them are hard wired ethernet and none of them upload data like that. Is there an app downloaded to Smart Hub that's uploading something?

Must be 50" then.

The only apps we have on SmartHub are Youtube, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, and the Playstation one so I don't think so. I didn't do any further investigating once limiting the upload to 56k 'fixed' the problem.

Yea only app I have on mine besides the default ones would be Plex. I even checked my logs and nothing from any of them.

nosamsung.png

oops im sorry buddy.... I meant to say ALOT DONT CARE...

That wasn't really the point. I mean yes, 99% of people out there don't care and 99.9% of them out there are uneducated on the matter (or bet yet pretty ignorant to it). The deal here was I proved from 2 different gens that nothing was being uploaded. I now have 4 smart TVs in my house with nothing being uploaded by them. What has been uploaded has been sent to Netflix but nothing direct to an odd source I need to investigate (outside of TCP ACK overhead). Actually on that note, Netflix is more of a data logger than most people would even begin to believe.

Edit: Netflix upstream overhead is also half the reason why I wanted such a big connection and actually bought a house in an area just to have gigabit fiber.

Last edited:
This thread brings up a concern for me- I am just about ready to update to a "smart TV" or a "smart AVR" from my nearly 10 years old Visio wiht a 15 year old Sony AVR. Not so sure I even want to as I could just buy a Roku, or other device to use with my current TV making it a "smart TV". However, would that device/stick I buy just do the same thing? I hate the whole idea that "big brother" or whomever is "watching me".

Back
Top Bottom