Thermostat or Furnace?

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
It seems that my old Thermostat went out today or something, not really sure as my dad woke me up this morning and told me to try and fix it.

My current one is an Honeywell t8000c, and now it doesn't even have an display anymore. The new one my dad bought is an Honeywell RTH110B.
So I took out the old one (t8000c) and put in the new one (RTH110B). The red wire to the 'RH' ('R' on the t8000c), and the white wire to the 'W'.
After installing it, I went downstairs to my furnace (It's an Gas furnace I am assuming according to the instruction on the sticker), and turned it on. I went back upstairs, flicked the switch to 'Heat', upped the temperature to 72 F (It says my house is 66 F), and a little flame showed up on the display signifying that its turning the heat on. But somehow, it never turned on.

Now, would you guys think its the thermostat or the furnace being the culprit?

Try this, if your furnace has one of those red push button lighters that makes a spark, try hitting that when the flame icon is on the thermostat. If it comes on then, then more than likely its the thermocouple unit. If it doesn't come on, then it could be any number of problems ranging from a bad furnace to bad wiring to incompatible thermostat.

I know the thermocouple thing from experience, when it went out in our gas furnace, we had to hit the red push button lighter to get it to come on until we replaced the unit.

Mmmm. If the thermocouple is faulty you wouldn't have a pilot light.

Have a look at this.

You could assume the Honeywell t8000c controller dead because it had no display. So i'd look at the wiring diagrams in the link just to make sure you got it right.

^ That makes sense as to why my furnace wasn't lighting full blast. Damn, I'm glad they put safety features in these things now that don't let gas through unless there's a pilot...

I don't remember seeing a red button to push on the furnace.

I am pretty sure I got the wiring correct.
The furnace seemed to be working last night, not sure about the thermostat. How long does it usually take for the new thermostat to adjust to my furnace?

No need for calibration.

Soon as the temperature drops near the thermostat it will call for heat by making Rh live and starting the furnace. When the temperature increases past the set temperature Rh goes dead, switching of the furnace.

The thermostat might click, if it uses relay outputs, when the temp. drops and when 'said' temp. is reached.

Well, right now, the temperature is below what I have set, but yet, the furnace isn't turning on, and that little flame symbol is still on the display of the Thermostat.

Oh, it's an 2- wire btw.

I'd check the wire. I'd also check for the pilot light, and if that is out, and you can't relight it, then replace the thermocouple.

So I went to check out my furnace again, but I can't seem to find the Pilot light, any idea of where or how its suppose to look like generally?
The instructions are saying it's equipped with an automatic pilot light, and don't try to turn it on by hand or with an match.

Also, my furnace should be on before I use the pilot light right?

hmm... automatic pilot light means that it automatically ignites when your furnace needs it.... so I'm thinking your wiring may be the issue. You have it connected for heat, right, not cool?

Back
Top Bottom