Thermal Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mentali$T

Daemon Poster
Hi,
With my old pc when i boot it up the cpu fan goes mad because i guess the cpu is overheating and i was wondering if i could clean the thermal paste off the cpu and heatsink because its really old, hard and un even and then just have no thermal paste :confused: or is it absolutely necessary to have some thermal paste?

Thanks

i wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary to have thermal paste. but then again is it necessary to avoid oncoming traffic? no it isn't but you do it anyway ;) just stick to the practice and things shouldn't go wrong. would like more infor about the pc though as "old" isn't very specific. some processors don't even require heatsinks

if the fan is making alot of noise (and vibrating) u could have a faulty bearing. u'll have to replace the fan in that case. i definitely recommend thermal paste, as a rule of thumb. it never hurts... remember: most pastes arn't fully effective till at least like 20 hrs after application. leave your machine running over night after application.

Ok by old i meant p4 2.8Ghz Dell lol.
I dont think the fan is broken because when i plugged it into a 3 pin on another pc it worked fine.
The thermal paste on it at the moment is making the heat transfer bad so i doubt it would make it any worse by taking it off.

edit: what can i use to clean it, i dont think i have any of that 70% alcohol stuff. I do have these cloths that do have sum cleaning alcohol in them. Would that work? also will water screw it up or is it fine as long as i make sure its dry before using thhe cpu and heatsink again?

u can use soap and water on the HS, just make sure u rinse and dry well. I wouldnt use anything but plain alcohol on the chip, u dont want any residue left on it as it may screwup your paste ( or possibly cause heat to accumilate between your hs/chip, which would be bad :))

God dam it didnt work. The fan still spins really fast to cool the cpu. I'll just buy sum AS5 and that should help.

do what I did buy a hardcano 12 and shut those friggin **** fans up fo' good. most of the times the fact that the fan spins at 2000RPM and not at 3500RPM will be meaningless (Maybe there will be a 1 celsius diffrence, max two)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom