Thermal Grease used on CPU?

yexusbeliever1

Baseband Member
I am looking for advice. I use thermal grease on my cpu. I wonder if that is a doable substance or not?

I hope my cpu is not going to fried soon with thermal grease.

Atomic Rooster

Omnipotent One
A "doable substance"? What do you mean?

No, it shouldn't get fried from using thermal paste. You're supposed to use that stuff unless you're using a TIM (thermal pad) instead.

yexusbeliever1

Baseband Member
Atomic Rooster said:
A "doable substance"? What do you mean?

No, it shouldn't get fried from using thermal paste. You're supposed to use that stuff unless you're using a TIM (thermal pad) instead.
Never heard of thermal pad.

I meant to say by doable as in it is good to put on my cpu. I know there are other better brand to put on the CPU, but the thermal grease was the given free substance. So I used it without consulting with anyone.

If it is a bad substance to be used, I will have to buy a better one.

Atomic Rooster

Omnipotent One
The stuff you have is fine. It's all about the same anyway. Temp differences range between 3 and 5 degrees depending on the brand. So don't worry, your CPU isn't going to fry. :D

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
Atomic Rooster said:
The stuff you have is fine. It's all about the same anyway. Temp differences range between 3 and 5 degrees depending on the brand. So don't worry, your CPU isn't going to fry. :D
won't most cpus these days automatically shut down if they get to hot to avoid permanent damage...? case in point, the "fried" cpu I picked up Friday from the guy at CompUSA, which btw is currently humming along in my pc at the massively underclocked rate of 2.4ghz (it's a 3.0ghz Northwood)...

Atomic Rooster

Omnipotent One
Yes, most all motherboards have BIOS settings that will automatically shut down the system in case of an overheated CPU.

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
Atomic Rooster said:
Yes, most all motherboards have BIOS settings that will automatically shut down the system in case of an overheated CPU.
is there such a thing as using too much thermal paste...? the cpu I got was practically stuck to the heatsink, I had to clean off the excess paste from the side with alcohol and a q-tip, then wait for the alcohol to seep in between the heatsink and the cpu in order to pry them apart...

he had the thermal paste gobbed on, while I usually just use a thin coat, gobbing it on didn't seem to do much good, as it was still overheating and shutting down on him...