The Teacher & The Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trotter said we should put this topic to rest, at least in this thread. Seeing as I had 90% of my post deleted/manipulated in a quotation, it's not really quite fair to respond based on just that. The way it looks there doesn't quite get the gist of what I was saying. We're not supposed to get too political here on these forums anyway, hence my post being deleted (understandably)

I have, however, sending a response by PM to what you just posted there Krillian, and I'll forward it to your Trotter as well

edit: I just had my response going and lost it all by mistake while trying to open a new tab in Firefox (Cntrl-T) I pressed Cntrl-R instead (R being right next to T) I hate it when that happens, I'll have to send my response another time.. don't quite feel like rewriting it all now

Merk said:
Back on topic - I think what the teacher did was good in a sense that it encourages those students to think beyond the 'here and now'. It should make them question the relevance of current affairs. Most of the people I'm surrounded by are pretty much oblivious to their environment. They are caught up in the hustle and bustle of a life they take for granted. They don't care for an understanding of history, spirituality, culture or education, and it's rather sad. The apathetic nature present in most of today's youth is rather dangerous and almost dehumanizing. They need a smack in the face like that to wake up.
That's it in a nutshell. Most never look beyond their current situation or environment to see the bigger picture. The actions of this teacher gave the students a glimpse of the world outside of their own little coccoons of self-interest.

Meh. My generation was taught about all of this stuff from the get-go, but it is no longer politically correct to do so. Makes me afraid to see what things will be like in 20-30 years.

That's it in a nutshell. Most never look beyond their current situation or environment to see the bigger picture. The actions of this teacher gave the students a glimpse of the world outside of their own little coccoons of self-interest.

Meh. My generation was taught about all of this stuff from the get-go, but it is no longer politically correct to do so. Makes me afraid to see what things will be like in 20-30 years.

The way I see things, this whole apathetic and negligent mindset that this generation of youth seem to be adhering to is being perpetuated by most of the mainstream media. It breeds ignorance and conformity, and creates an unhealthy fixation on material goods, which is of course great for filling up corporate coffers. It's also great for corrupted governments. The people couldn't care less if the government is screwing them over, they're too occupied with sending a text message as fast as possible, or making the 9:00 showing of Meet the Spartans 2. :angry:

It's funny that everywhere in the media and the government is all about "being a patriot", when the government itself is showing no appreciation to the veterans who fought the wars they started for profit.

By refusing to pay medical benefits and going so far as i've heard to making veterans pay back money they recieved from the government.

My grandfather is a korean war veteran and he recieved a purple heart for being injured in it. He has always fought for veteran's rights and has always complained about how the government is always screwing them over. I've seen more than enough proof to support this.

Veterans' benefits is a topic being discussed off and on by the current candidates. Whether or not something will actually be done remains to be seen. Veterans definitely deserve better than many have gotten, and changes are on the horizon... even before the election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom