The Start Of 3D Taking On?

JCB1

Daemon Poster
As some of you might know im a big fan of 3d films / video. Currently in the UK there is only 1 3D channel available and to get that you have to be with a providor called sky and also subscribe to all of there channels which is around £70 a month.

The hardware use to cost alot to, But in the last few weeks to the shops I have noticed the price of 3D devices has come down a hell of alot.

It also looks like there might be some frequent free 3d channels / programs comming our way starting with the tennis finals BBC Sport - Tennis - Wimbledon finals to be first 3D broadcasts on BBC

So what I am asking is,,, Do you think 3D will start to take off now?? The price of a 3D tv is simular to a HD tv and it looks like we are finally getting free 3d content. What do you think,,

a company we order from (it might have been Ebuyer actually, or maybe one of the local ones) was selling a 22" NVIDIA-supported 3D monitor for like £150, i paid that much for my 22" LED-backlit monitor back in the day.

I'm not a fan. The old 'red & blue' 3D looked better, in my opinion anyway. I don't see the depth in this digital 3D. I see layers of course but no depth.

I think the prices are dropping because it's not taking off like they hoped. I'm not going to jump on this any time soon.

I see layers too on the new 3D. Plus the glasses give a headache after a while of watching.
I wish they created some holograms you could watch without glasses..

3D won't properly take off (IMO at least) until they get rid of the glasses, which most likely means when true holographic displays appear and become cheap. The glasses with the current active shutter technology will always need to be charged, meaning hassle, they'll always be annoying to wear especially for people who already wear glasses, the display will always be flickering and annoying for people who walk in trying to watch who don't want to / can't wear the glasses...

The whole technology at the moment is interesting, but in my view they're trying to push something that's just a glorified tech demo from a practical viewpoint. Holographic TVs are only a few years away in all likelihood, and then we should be able to enjoy 3D from a more natural perspective with no glasses and no additional eye strain and headaches.

Years ago, when I use to go to universal studios and stuff. They had shows like terminator 3d, and attractions like that. The 3d they had was amazing. Like stuff would pop out in front of your face and seem so close to you. But when I go to watch 3d movies at the theater its nothing like that. It's hardly 3d to me so I'm not really to excited

Screens are far too small in cinema's, and home TV's to really appreciate the 3D.

Heck, even IMAX screens don't realize the effect properly if the film isn't made for IMAX in particular.

For example, I've watched some IMAX 3D showings built for the 70mm film, and it's coming right to your eyes.
Watched Avatar in 3D which was built for standard cinema screens, and the effect isn't as realistic, even on the same screen.

It's all to do with convergence, and what people can handle, which doesn't seem to be much.

Back
Top Bottom