The Rumor has ended. AMD unveiled Radeon HD4890

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdshiftdj

I feel funny...
The rumors of AMD's RV790 that had been circulating all over the place have finally been confirmed. An HD4890 was unveiled this morning by a big guy in the graphic card industry. Someone was lucky enough to be the first one to test it. However, due to some confidential concerns, they're unable to reveal the physical image of HD4890 just yet. But they did reveal some initial test results.

The version of GPU-Z that they were using was 0.3.2., which is the latest version available right now. It was still unable to show the correct information of the card. RV790 - the codename of the core was shown in the name plate instead of HD4890, and the rest of info remained unknown. The official specification indicates that HD4890 should have a 55nm GPU which has 965 million transistors on it and runs at 850MHz. A 256-bit memory interface sports 1GB of incredible GDDR5 memory that has an insane memory clock of 3800MHz.

I know some of you might want to say that HD4890 is just an overclocked version of HD 4870, but the test results is somewhat convincing. It shows a pretty good improvement in comparison with HD4870. The score on 3DMark06 is very close to GeForce GTX 285, but not on 3DMark Vantage because of the advantage of PhysX that GTX 285 has taken. Will HD4890 be fast enough to compete with GTX 285 in gaming? guess we'll have to see some more test results to be able to tell.

The Rumor has ended. AMD unveiled Radeon HD4890. - WWW.OCHEAVEN.COM

Im curious as to why the die of the 4890 is bigger then the 4870, I can understand the PCB being longer since it runs at a hgiher clock and probably needs additional ways to deliver clean power, but bigger die with all the specs the same?

"AMD has yet again stepped up excitement and anticipation surrounding a product-launch. This time, it's the company's fastest GPU: the RV790, whose single-GPU product, the Radeon HD 4890, is dressing up to go to office between April 6~8 worldwide. Taiwanese tech community website XFastest went found that volumes of the card by AMD partner Gigabyte have already reached a certain store.

The Gigabyte Radeon HD 4890 1 GB (model: GV-R489-1GH-B) is based on AMD's reference design, which has been pictured earlier, and whose early 3DMark performance figures have began surfacing. The card, features 1 GB of GDDR5 memory, which now seems to be the standard amount of memory on the reference design card. The unboxed card has been pictured from a good angle, which gives us a better indication of its length. It is longer than the HD 4870. Another scoop we can bring to you, is that from the first picture of the RV790 GPU that was published by DailyTech, it has been observed that the die is slightly larger than that of the RV770. What makes it larger is not known at this point in time.
"

I am thread jacking okay? Mr. DeeJay ;)

According to what we've managed to find out, ATI's HD 4830 is as good as dead. ATI apparently already sent out the last batch of these chips and some partners didn't even want it, as once the RV740 comes into play we are pretty sure that this card will go the way of the dodo.
I found that hilarious

that also means some dirt cheap HD 4830s soon

taken from fudzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom