The return of the slow bootup...

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
I posted a while back that my new build was loading XP x64 really slow. 45 seconds just on the blue bar with the XP logo.

I decided I might as well just do a reinstall since another problem came up as well. Reinstall works great. Down to 15 seconds or so on that screen, 45 seconds from pushing the button to the desktop instead of like 2 minutes...

I install the drivers from the CDs and all still works fine. Then I go to update the mobo and video drivers and it does a slow bootup, but goes a step further and screws with my BIOS settings as well to where I have to reset them and detect the HDDs again. :mad: I installed SP2 yesterday and it screwed with the BIOS again as well, and didn't help the bootup speed. I tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling the ones from the CD, but it didn't fix it.

The only thing I can think of doing is updating the BIOS now. Should I try that, or is there something else I can do that I haven't tried? I'm thinking maybe b/c it's a 64bit OS that it's giving me probs, but it's obviously linked with the nvidia drivers for either my mobo or video. XP x64 is all I have to use legally on my system right now though... If the only remedy is to reinstall Windows again, I will not update the drivers.

Ok, now it's doing the thing with the BIOS randomly. It will come up with an error at post saying that there is no PS/2 mouse present (I use USB). From there I have to set the BIOS at default settings. Then it comes up without the HDDs found, and the floppy disk drive error (b/c I don't have one). I disable the FDD, and it all works again, but this is getting annoying to do on my 2 month old system...

Should I update the BIOS, or would this hurt it further?

you could try downloading XP 32bit . install that without the cd key and if it still loads really slowy then its ur computer ,and reinstall 64 . but if it loads fast just go out to the shops and buy a cd key.

but it shouldnt be ur comptuer it looks like it has good specs

It loads fine when I first install XP x64, nice and fast enough for me. It's just after I install the updated drivers. I really don't want to have to totally reinstall Windows again...

I don't have a 32 bit working key to my knowledge, and can't afford one when the price hasn't gone down any, and I would just save extra for Vista instead of buying XP again... I got the 64 bit XP from a trade with a bunch of stuff, I decided to use it since this was my first system I owned that had a 64 bit processor, even though I heard of the horrors.

Back
Top Bottom