The random interesting facts thread

What?! :angry: You mean to say that my big explanation was just a waste of time?! :pcmad:

For that you deserve a random fact which may or may not be interesting:

• The duck-billed platypus has the longest dreams out of every animal, spending 8 hours a day in a dream state - which is 4 times more than humans

Keeping on the dream facts:

• We (humans) spend roughly 8% of our lives dreaming - which comes to a total of ~5 years (varies depending on how long you live)

What?! :angry: You mean to say that my big explanation was just a waste of time?! :pcmad:

For that you deserve a random fact which may or may not be interesting:

• The duck-billed platypus has the longest dreams out of every animal, spending 8 hours a day in a dream state - which is 4 times more than humans

Keeping on the dream facts:

• We (humans) spend roughly 8% of our lives dreaming - which comes to a total of ~5 years (varies depending on how long you live)

I don't question that a platypus can dream. I just wonder how scientists can tell that they do dream (REM maybe?)

I don't question that a platypus can dream. I just wonder how scientists can tell that they do dream (REM maybe?)

Brainwaves measured on an EEG.
As for colorblind, there are tests where letters and numbers of certain colors are embedded in opposing colors. Normal vision can see them while depending on the colors you're blind about, can't. Colorblindness often comes in pairs. A guy I used to work with was red/green blind. He also couldn't tell green from blue. You rode with him driving through Atlanta in rush hour at your own peril.

Check if you're red/green colorblind by looking at some of the pics HERE Red/Green is the most common. About 10-20% of males are colorblind. Females are almost never colorblind.

A few semi-computer/technology related facts I know:
"Uncopyrightable" is the longest word in the English language that doesn't repeat a letter.
"Typewriter" is the longest word in the English language that can be typed using only 1 row of keys.

The work "EWOK" is never said by anyone in Star Wars, Return of the Jedi.
Darth Vader actually says "No, I am your Father" (Not "Luke, I am your Father").

There are supposedly around 85-90 people (I think it was 84 when I last heard) in the USA named 'LOL'.

Some excersice/weight loss ones I know from my days of wrestling:
When you eat celery you actually burn more calories digesting it then you get from the celery itself.
To burn off the calories of 1 M&M you need to walk about 100 yards.

I also heard once that about once a day your immune system kills a cell that would have turned into cancer had it survived.

Last edited:
Regarding the theme song from the Jerry Lewis telethon ("Smile when your heart is aching..."), I'm sure some would be surprised to learn who cowrote the song - Charlie Chaplin!

Back
Top Bottom