The Macbook air (the truth)

I like apple. I use a lot of their products. I had an iPod, and i own a mac, (in addition to a pc).

But this whole, 'Lets build the thinnest laptop possible' has gotten out of control. I think Lenovo has a better idea, b/c at least their laptop does not forfeit BASIC functions you expect from a laptop.

Really I don't see the benefit of a laptop this thin. It's not easier to carry or more portable, because its still got a width of almost 13 inches and a height of 9. The depth of a laptop does not make it any more portable past the half inch margin. I thought the concept was ridiculous from the beginning.

And whats worse is other companies are going to attempt to compete with it and produce other thin laptops that sacrifice basic functions for form factor/style.

my brothers macs hard drive is about to break , they said to replace it with 80gb HDD, is $300 . thats BS

Yeah, of course, because the parts they use are so hard to find.
The batteries are built in, because they are impossible to replace yourself, probably due to the fact they aren't standard batteries.

I like apple. I use a lot of their products. I had an iPod, and i own a mac, (in addition to a pc).

But this whole, 'Lets build the thinnest laptop possible' has gotten out of control. I think Lenovo has a better idea, b/c at least their laptop does not forfeit BASIC functions you expect from a laptop.

Really I don't see the benefit of a laptop this thin. It's not easier to carry or more portable, because its still got a width of almost 13 inches and a height of 9. The depth of a laptop does not make it any more portable past the half inch margin. I thought the concept was ridiculous from the beginning.

And whats worse is other companies are going to attempt to compete with it and produce other thin laptops that sacrifice basic functions for form factor/style.
if you were a buisnessman you may think differently.. would you rather buy a laptop which you can fit into your breifcase or carry around the case and then a laptop bag? this isnt designed for mainstream use, it is more designed for buisnessmen..

Lol.....That is very funny! I don't think that Apple is a failing company.:D Although I am not fixing to shell out that much money for a laptop anytime soon, I do think that the MacBook Air is an amazing leap in technology. What interests me the most about it is the new SSD HardDrive. I would love to know exactly how much faster and more reliable it is that the standard HDD. I love the idea of a hard drive that never overheats and doesn't break if it is dropped. I think that it will be very interesting to see what part SSDs play in the future of portable computers as they come down in price.

if you were a buisnessman you may think differently.. would you rather buy a laptop which you can fit into your breifcase or carry around the case and then a laptop bag? this isnt designed for mainstream use, it is more designed for buisnessmen..

THE MACBOOK AIR IS MOST CERTAINLY NOT FOR BUSINESS USERS

I honestly do not think any self-respecting business-man would ever use this laptop, no offense, in fact it would be horrible for business. I really have to question how you came to that conclusion. But i'll cut you some slack and just assume you had ingested too many alcoholic beverages.

It lacks USB ports to connect external peripherals to it which when your traveling around a lot is a big no-no. Plus no fire-wire so no saving grace there.

No Ethernet port for when there is no wireless available? You'll be falling behind in the business world extremely fast without that.

A lot of presentations today are put on cd's. No cd drive? It would be one thing if you had multiple USB ports so you could use a flash drive, but you only have one. G-d forbid you use a mouse and a flash drive.

No removable battery. My older brother happens to be a businessman and he always carries around an extra battery in his briefcase, because he has no idea at any point during his travels he will have to use his laptop for an extended period of time.

And my brother carries around a desktop replacement in his briefcase, so I don't see how the macbook air would prove to be more convenient. Briefcases are pretty big, (well most of them). You'd have to have an incredibly thin briefcase to justify getting something like this. In fact it would probably be less convenient b/c something that thin is prone to brake more easier just because theres less room between components for give.

Limited storage would also be a big problem since business people often will carry copies of important files with them.

Plus its a Mac so its prone to problems when trying to connect to a pc dominated network world.

Not to mention the fact that if you whipped that out in a conference room you would probably hear some chuckles.

It simply sacrifices too much for what is simply 'style'. It's not more convenient then any of apples other laptops, its still got the same width and length of a normal compact laptop. I love apple. I love there products. I love how they are forcing microsoft to become more innovative with there products to hold there dominance. But i simply cannot justify anyone ever buying the macbook air.

I personally think apple should have built the laptop and showed it off and said, "Look how far technology has come." And not marketed it as an actual product. Its just too impractical.

EDIT: And don't knock mac for making one bad product guys. Microsoft has had plenty of flops over the years. So has Dell and pretty much every other company.

@MacGirl: There was a review done on i believe engadget about the ssd drive in the macbook air. And it said there was no significant increase in speed. The technology works, just not in this limited form factor.

Back
Top Bottom