The Macbook air (the truth)

All i can say its worthless, i will laugh at anyone who buys it. since you can particle can do nothing with it. so all i can say is Apple stay with ipods, thats your good stuff

THE MACBOOK AIR IS MOST CERTAINLY NOT FOR BUSINESS USERS

I honestly do not think any self-respecting business-man would ever use this laptop, no offense, in fact it would be horrible for business. I really have to question how you came to that conclusion. But i'll cut you some slack and just assume you had ingested too many alcoholic beverages.

It lacks USB ports to connect external peripherals to it which when your traveling around a lot is a big no-no. Plus no fire-wire so no saving grace there.

No Ethernet port for when there is no wireless available? You'll be falling behind in the business world extremely fast without that.

A lot of presentations today are put on cd's. No cd drive? It would be one thing if you had multiple USB ports so you could use a flash drive, but you only have one. G-d forbid you use a mouse and a flash drive.

No removable battery. My older brother happens to be a businessman and he always carries around an extra battery in his briefcase, because he has no idea at any point during his travels he will have to use his laptop for an extended period of time.

And my brother carries around a desktop replacement in his briefcase, so I don't see how the macbook air would prove to be more convenient. Briefcases are pretty big, (well most of them). You'd have to have an incredibly thin briefcase to justify getting something like this. In fact it would probably be less convenient b/c something that thin is prone to brake more easier just because theres less room between components for give.

Limited storage would also be a big problem since business people often will carry copies of important files with them.

Plus its a Mac so its prone to problems when trying to connect to a pc dominated network world.

Not to mention the fact that if you whipped that out in a conference room you would probably hear some chuckles.

It simply sacrifices too much for what is simply 'style'. It's not more convenient then any of apples other laptops, its still got the same width and length of a normal compact laptop. I love apple. I love there products. I love how they are forcing microsoft to become more innovative with there products to hold there dominance. But i simply cannot justify anyone ever buying the macbook air.

I personally think apple should have built the laptop and showed it off and said, "Look how far technology has come." And not marketed it as an actual product. Its just too impractical.

EDIT: And don't knock mac for making one bad product guys. Microsoft has had plenty of flops over the years. So has Dell and pretty much every other company.

@MacGirl: There was a review done on i believe engadget about the ssd drive in the macbook air. And it said there was no significant increase in speed. The technology works, just not in this limited form factor.

personally, I don't see the problem.

I mean I have a work laptop, I worked in london all of last week, commuting.

when I'm at home I can plug my laptop into the wall.
when I get to the office I can plug it into the wall.
when I'm on the bus there is a 240V power outlet.
and when I'm on the train there is a 240v power outlet.

the only place on my travels that there wasn't a power outlet was the underground... and let's face it the battery lasts for an hour and a half at least after a full charge, and I could easily get that on the bus or train...

why would I carry a spare battery?

TBH, I rarely use the CD drive in my laptop, usually just transfer fines over the network.

usually don't plug in a mouse, and only use USB for charging my phone...

*most* business men in meetings will be using their mac for taking notes, or presentations, and it ships with dvi/vga connectors for connecting to a projector...

it's ultra small and light... your average businessman will probably quite like this, inspite of it's obvious short comings...

I think you've overestimated the amount of use and peripherals the average businessman has and needs.

the only useful edition I can think of is the superdrive... and that plugs in the USB... oh damn now I can't charge my phone and will have to use the wall charger!

CD's are still a huge part of file and data sharing/transferring. I guess it depends on what you do, but I really think thats going to hold you back.

And not all offices are hooked up with wireless. In fact a good amount aren't, so thats also a huge killer. The Macbook air has no place in the business world.

CD's are still a huge part of file and data sharing/transferring. I guess it depends on what you do, but I really think thats going to hold you back.

And not all offices are hooked up with wireless. In fact a good amount aren't, so thats also a huge killer. The Macbook air has no place in the business world.

I think you need to open your eyes to the notebook market right now. Most ultra portables don't have a CD drive. Please don't act like Apple is the first to drop it, because they aren't.

Yes, it has a place in the business world. No, you can't deny that. Somewhere in the world, someone will find the Macbook Air to perfectly suit their needs. They're targeting a niche market. Face it, there isn't any other ultra portable that carries the Mac OS system. Apple knows that, and that's why they developed this machine.

Back
Top Bottom