The law on seeling microsfot products second hand

Fisher

Fully Optimized
Is it legit to sell my orginal cd and key of microsoft xp to another person. no other copies are made of it.

Um.. i doubt it is.. because Microsoft is kinda touchy about this stuff. Though i say, as long as the other person doesnt go to the cops, you will be okay :D

Of course it's ok. If you bought the product, meaning it therefore becomes YOURS. Then you have the right to sell it to someone.

thast what i thought for all three of you. its mine so why cant i sell it on to a second buyer, but then its microsoft they have probably gone to great length to stop this happening, but what the hell as long ad the person doesnt tell, who cares?

You can sell it, but the main issue is, will it activate? I've heard that you can use the CD Key only 5 times, so maybe you can still sell it.

The no BS answer is no. Once activated on your machine it sends in the activation code along with a hardware config code called a hash number. If the activation code comes in with a different hash number it will not activate. After 30 days the software will not boot up. Why would any one want to chance that when legal OEM copies can be bought from legit dealers for as little as $80.00USD. With full updates access and support. One disc, one key, one machine...

thats all true but the big main change that tells microsoft is that it might be another computer is the motherboard. i updated my comp to the point that it wasnt my old comp anymore that i brought the xp with. i started with a pckage of amd x64 3000+ a MSI mobo, elixir ram, x600pro etc... now its what it says in my sig. ive used this xp cd to sort out some of my other comps and friedns and as soon as i installed the mobo it recongiized it to be significatly different that i had to re-activiate it. which included ringing them up and explaining that i have had many a prblem with it and are always using different hardware. ( the lady was very nice and helpful actaully probably the best customer service lin i had used, plus she spoke clear english!)

i dont actually want to sell it (unless the price is right) as i need it myself. was just wondering what the law was surronding it for future referrence

heres the link to the forum i posted about it:

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=24873

Back
Top Bottom