The iGeneration

Which is true for you?

• I am age 19/or under and I have not known the world with out the Internet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am age 19/or under and I have known the world with out the Internet

• Press this option for a free iPod... not!!!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have to agree with you then KC. Cause i was not affected by politics, and i most definately not affected by MTV. I didnt start to listen to music and watch MTV till after 2001 in the first place.

Cause i was more along the lines like you where i was more affected by the rise of PC's. I was using my PC more than watching TV or movies for most of my youth.

Pretty much. Like I was a computer nerd. Most of the music that i was listening to when i was a kid (AC/DC, Anthrax, Gun'N'Roses) was pretty much there because other people introduced me to the bands. It was really not until about 10 year ago where i started developping taste for a music choice of my own.
And it's only been in the about the last 5 years so that I even started listening to stuff that is closer to being mainstream.

I'm a Gen Y, I spent alot of my childhood without the internet and a PC. I grew up in a small northern town in canada and it wasn't until I was 12 or 13 that we got the interent. I remember it like yesterday, lol 28.8k cancom. The only PC I had was an old school Epson. Yes the printer company made my compter. It was your basic command prompt machine. The second computer I got, wow I thought it was amazing, with all the bells and whistles. It was a dell, 166mhz processor with windows 95.

I never have watched MTV and I have never owned an MP3 player or an Ipod. As a kid I use to listen to my parent's vinyls and tapes, which I guess is how I developed my taste for 70's and 80's music.

I spent most of my childhood out on the lake fishing and going to the cabin. Now I spend most of my time at work..

We had a computer when I was little but I really was barely allowed to use it and it left with my stepfather when I was maybe 8. We got our own computer and dial up internet when I was 12 or 13. Finally made the move to broadband when I was a Junior in high school because I was tired of dial up and I fought a long and arduous battle with my mother for the privilege of personally paying the extra $15 per month for 256k dsl.

I really didn't get in to computers until I was in junior high, before then I played a few games and that was it.

Nope 9600 was fast and 14.4 blew my mind.
Had a record collection and have installed Windows 2.0 and 3.0
AND WE LIKED IT!!!
We formatted in the snow ..uphill.. both ways.

Nope 9600 was fast and 14.4 blew my mind.
Had a record collection and have installed Windows 2.0 and 3.0
AND WE LIKED IT!!!
We formatted in the snow ..uphill.. both ways.

:laughing:

14.4 blew my mind. Then came 28.8 and 33.6 which was even more astounding. Then came the almighty 56K. How my life changed when that was released. I was surfing the web faster than ever when i got my first 56K modem.

I still remember the old DOS and Win3.11 for Workgroup days. Such fond memories.

I used to live in the Sierra Nevada foothills with crapola phonelines so would get only 19.2 on my 28.8 modem...I used it to play a MUD called Realms of Despair. :)

Then later played Starcraft and Total Annihilation and Quake 2 :D Still play Starcraft from time to time...

According to the list, I'm a Gen Y.

I never go the luxury of using older computer hardware. Started out in Win98 when we got our first computer.

I don't really remember the days without Internet, but then again we got our first computer when I was 5 (Windows 95 just came out and America Online was a big hit and 56k was "impossibly fast"). We had Internet but we didn't use it a whole lot and for a while I think my parents decided to cancel it. I mainly used the computer for games. After a few years we ended up getting the Internet back (again AOL dialup) and later got a new computer. I think the main reason was to get a faster modem which the new PC came with, but we did need it. After a few more years I used the PC more and more and eventually decided we needed to upgrade. We got a new PC (my AthlonXP) and I got it in my room...but since my room had no phone jack...no Internet. Everyone else seemed to have cable and I didn't, so eventually I pressured my parents enough that they decided to ditch LOL@AOL and get Charter. After that I finally had the full Internet, could download and browse freely without tying up the phone line, etc.

I also remember old stuff like cassette tapes and VHS, we didn't get a DVD player for a few years after they came out. I also had a Genesis when I was like 5 and it was the most awesome thing in the universe...Sonic was the best game ever. I only started playing Mario games after I got a Game Boy Color when they released in 1998.

Oh god I played Genesis forever. Had a NES, but my older bro took it when he moved out when I was still young. So I got to play the Genesis (still have it, and it still works :D).

:laughing:

14.4 blew my mind. Then came 28.8 and 33.6 which was even more astounding. Then came the almighty 56K. How my life changed when that was released. I was surfing the web faster than ever when i got my first 56K modem.

I still remember the old DOS and Win3.11 for Workgroup days. Such fond memories.

Being broke I developed a convenient fetish for old school hardware adn software. I've torn apart more than a few 8086-80486 based computers, ran through all versions of Windows, OS/2, DOS, and GEOS. Lately I'ev been getting the hankering to tinker around with OS/2 again in it's natural form so I might be on the lookout for like a 386 if I can find one.

The true mark of a man is he who has configured his sound cards manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom