The HOBBIT is a go....finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

synergy

Fully Optimized
They're finally approved to do The Hobbit movie. The Tolkien estate has settled a lawsuit claiming owed earnings of $150M from the trilogy movies. I'm really wishing Jackson was doing this one too, but I do like del Toro's movies. Pan's was an amazing story and filmed very well. What are your folks' thoughts?

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Hollywood studio behind a film based on "The Hobbit" and trustees for author J.R.R. Tolkien's estate said on Tuesday they had settled a lawsuit that clears the way for what is expected to be a blockbuster movie based on the book.
"The Hobbit" is a 1937 book by Tolkien about a diminutive character named Bilbo Baggins who goes on a treasure-seeking adventure, and it sets the stage for Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, with its epic tale of magic and warfare.
The "Lord of the Rings" books were made into three films released by New Line Cinema between 2001 and 2003 that made about $2.9 billion at worldwide box offices, and similarly "The Hobbit" is widely expected to be a blockbuster hit.
But in February 2008, the trustees of the Tolkien's estate filed a lawsuit against New Line, a division of Time Warner Inc, seeking more than $150 million in profits from the "Rings" movies, it claimed it was owed.
The lawsuit also sought to block filming of "The Hobbit," which will now be made into two movies by Guillermo del Toro, the filmmaker behind "Pan's Labyrinth" and "Hellboy."
Financial terms of the settlement were not released, but the author's son, Christopher Tolkien, said in a statement that as a result of the agreement, "New Line may now proceed with its proposed films of 'The Hobbit.'"
HarperCollins Publishers Ltd, a publisher of Tolkien's works, joined trustees of the Tolkien estate in the lawsuit. The Tolkien Trust, a charity tied to the late author's estate, has given away more than $8 million in the last five years.
Legal settlement clears way for 'Hobbit' movie (Reuters) - Yahoo! Movies

Del Toro is going to be releasing some huge announcements this week concerning future projects of his, and this month he should be finally releasing who will be playing as Bilbo.

Apparently he says "the fans will be pleased". It seems like all the necessary actors will be returning as well, so this two-film epic is going to be good viewing :).

I hope that Guillermo del Toro creativity goes nuts like it did with Pan's Labyrinth" and "Hellboy 2"

While I still wish that Jackson was taking this one, I think we will be pleasantly surprised by del Toro. He has an amazing vision for good movies and with a Tolkien story it should be win win.

Awesome. I'm a huge fan of the LOTR movies and I loved reading the hobbit. It will be interesting to compare the new movie to the old cartoon movie.

I think a lot of it relies on the screenplay. Turning a book into a movie via dialogue is the most important part IMO. Don't know if they will use the same folks who did the trilogy or not. With Jackson being the producer it could be a likely possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom