The Food & Drink Thread

Hamburger and.....
Ketchup.
Brown sugar.
Worcestershire sauce.
Mustard.
Garlic powder + onion powder + fresh black pepper.

https://www.fivehearthome.com/homemade-sloppy-joes/
I make mine with diced onion (cooked with the meat), ketchup, mustard, garlic powder, black pepper. Maybe some diced green pepper in with the onions if I have any on hand. I always forget the Worcestershire, and have never used brown sugar or honey in mine.

I have also used crushed tomatoes from a can and tomato sauce and spiced it up as I went as well. Depends on my mood and what I have available, I guess.

Thank god for the kids getting free snack packs from school every week. Been stockpiling the canned ravioli and it came in clutch for the past 4 days. The heartburn sucks but something to eat.

Would any of you guys have any tips for making home made frying batter . I've been watching loads of videos on youtube and the simplest batter is made of only flour and water. I've was thinking, flour milk egg salt pepper. Maybe putting some garlic in their as well. What do you guys think? Any tips .

Flour, egg, bread crumbs or seasoned flour. Dredge the meat in flour, then dip in beaten egg, then dredge in the bread crumbs or seasoned flour. If you want a thicker breading or better coverage repeat the egg and bread crumbs/seasoned flour steps.

Unless you are looking for something like a batter dip for say corndogs.

The homemade wet batter mix I've just made trotter was one cup of flower sived and one cup of whole milk. Salt, pepper, garlic and smoked paprika. All mixed together until smooth and it ran off the back of a spoon but did not run back in to the spoon I used . In the deep fryer using clean fresh oil . Tasted unreal. Made some homemade chicken wings what I clipped my self . Really nice tasting .

Sounds a lot like the batter used for a simple peach cobbler; one cup each of flour, milk, and sugar. Melt a stick of butter in a 9x13 cake pan in the oven (@350F), dump a large can of sliced peaches in heavy syrup into the butter, pour the batter over all, back at 350F until golden brown.

To be honest trotter that sounds really nice but really heavy on the sugar and fat. I might actually have to give it a go sometime. See what happens. I love experimenting in the kitchen. Thats why I made the home made wet batter mix with some chicken wings. From what I can tell, its just a case of flour and water until you have the right consistency in the mix and everything else is optional for flavoring and seasoning .

Next time I make some homemade batter mix for chicken I'm going to a cup of chicken stock instead of milk .

Guy's I have a question to ask. I'm not sure how to explain it properly but I know what I'm getting get and how I feel about it .

When you're cooking at home. Me, you and everybody else. Is it all about what we as individuals prefer in regards to our own tastes . Now this is a stupid question I know but thing is when I watch a lot food programs, recipes and star chefs like chef Gordon Ramsey and Jamie Oliver all I see is hatred . Complaining, nastiness and people criticizing other people .

How many people if following a recipe follow it down to the letter? I love experimenting in the kitchen and I have a lot of utensils, equipment and I'm very fortunate to have a second freezer and that's no joke about the second freezer. A lot of people here in the UK are on a benefit called Universal Credit and living on well under less that half the recommended daily living amount what is paid on a month basis .

What I'm saying is how do some of feel about food? Are you happy to eat whatever! Takeaways or live of sandwiches, Cook home cooked meals or do you like try new stuff like me . Sometimes I get confused about that. Just curious about your opinions .

The first time I cook a recipe I follow it to the letter, else you can't really say that you have cooked it because ... the recipe. The second time I will try some minor changes, the third and beyond I make it mine. Some of my best creations started out of someone else's recipe.

I am not a picky eater and there are very few things that I won't at least try. I do not care for boiled okra and refuse to eat any form of mountain oysters (look them up), but I am open to about anything else. My tastes very greatly and I go with whatever sounds good to me; this may be a sandwich, a full meal, or even frozen pizza.

Back
Top Bottom