The Food & Drink Thread

Did homemade barbecue burgers last night, with the same rub and sauce. Used provolone cheese instead of American cheese though. Made these while camping a few weeks back, and the wife suggested having them again.

Guys can I ask something I have been trying to find out for a while now. Google cant seem to give me a straight answer.

When making a home made rub with some spices or herbs, how do you do this? What I've been doing is adding a bit of olive oil mixing it up in a bowl with my finger and kinda like marinading my meat before cooking say some chicken wings in the oven. Is their any other way of going about this, making a home made rub or marinade.

Thanks.

Guys can I ask something I have been trying to find out for a while now. Google cant seem to give me a straight answer.

When making a home made rub with some spices or herbs, how do you do this? What I've been doing is adding a bit of olive oil mixing it up in a bowl with my finger and kinda like marinading my meat before cooking say some chicken wings in the oven. Is their any other way of going about this, making a home made rub or marinade.

Thanks.
Rubs are just that... rubs, not pastes. Usually a rub is a mixture of dry ingredients that is rubbed or patted onto the meat. Some people use a binder, like mustard or mayo, on the meat itself to better hold the rub.

As to what goes into a rub the sky is the limit. I've seen them based on brown sugar, on instant coffee, on dry mustard, and on basic spices (SPG - salt, pepper, garlic powder, or Texas style).

Try searching for "dry rub recipes" or "BBQ rub recipes" to get some better results.

Thanks for that trotter, I have my spice and herb rack in the kitchen and I love experimenting with home cooking. I'm going to try this what you have said about using mustard as a binder. Like you say the sky the limit, so we'll see what concoctions I can come up with .

@Trotter

Today I cooked a joint of Pork, leg of pork. With the left overs I have pulled it all apart just now and made a home made marinade sauce. I used Olive Oil, wouster sauce, garlic past, smoked paprika and two bay leaves, I've put it in the fridge to rest after fully coating the shredded pork to let the flavors develop . Gonna add some oil to a pan later and cooked it threw again to get some heat in to it. I'm thinking the flavours will develop in the fridge for a couple of hours but might change when I cook it threw again . :D ...

It was a leg of pork, boneless with the crackling .

Edit: Here UK trotter I have never seen shoulder or but in a supermarket . I would imagine you would have to go to the butchers for something like that. In the supermarkets u can get a lot of stuff but to an extent its limited. I'm not sure what its like over their but I can easily imagine people would turn their noses up at the more uncommon things or example even like beef cheeks . I'm just cooking now.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does anyone else cook their eggs in the microwave ? Nuked eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper and a nob of butter for 45 seconds is just unreal in a flat cake bread sandwich .. :D ..

Back
Top Bottom