The Feds can listen to you.... WHILE YOUR PHONE IS OFF!!

D-Lew said:
No... surely there has to be something in the software that allows it to do that. It wasn't designed to just work that way, you know? At least I hope it wasn't...

I don't think the stuff they use to do this needs anything special from the phone. They just find the microphone of the phone, and activate it and start listening to it. If it would use some stuff which they put on the phone before it was sold then it wouldn't work on older models, right? And I don't know how it can be software based if they are listening to it even when the phone isn't on!

edit: lol, just thought to check out the actual article to see if there was anything there about this.

"Any recently manufactured cell phone has a built-in tracking device, which can allow eavesdroppers to pinpoint someone's location to within just a few feet,"
So just stay away from the new models :D

Any crimial that would be on the level that the FBI wuold be interseted in should be smart enough to take out his battery...

I read a report a few years ago they triangle you with GPS using your phone even if its off only way to fix it is to remove your battery. Any crimial that would prose a threat to this nation that is worthy of note should have the brain power to figure use cell phone take out battery. (its like a 5 second job)

However its a invasision into our privacy and should be stopped... Its simply wrong and not right. And can be abused...

I'm not worried about the FBI listening in on me, cause if they want to know what I think of Bush i'll tell em straight up.

I'm sure its a sercet hardware aspect of phones which are required by the gov. And the only way you can sell your phone is if you comply.

In fact i'm pretty sure the guy that leaked this did it because he felt it was wrong, and it is. This is far too much power. Sure if it stays in the right hands its great, but we are lowering oursevles to that of our enemy. And we need to stand the high ground. This feature should be disabled.

BTW, your phone doesn't need to be on, and i'm sure they have it setup so its impossible to crack without killing your phone.

From what I heard all conversations of electric systems such as cell phones are stored and onyl ones with key words are listened too. So lets annoy the shit out of the FBI and say things such as "murder" "bush" "bin laden" as often as we can :) Just to be annoying lil pricks to the FBI officer that has to listen to the calls. (I'm sure those are keyword)

Yes, if we all write the word Jihad in our sigs then we can get this forum flagged as a centre for terrorist activities!

the thing with the phone being off is, (like it says in the CNN thing -read between the lines)...
most phones allow you to set alarms and will turn themselves on in accordance with calendar reminders.
this implies that there is no real off state, so much as a brown out state so the phone can be woken up, and there is a trickle supply to the circuits, that trickle supply that normally sorts out the wake on calendar function can be used to make it just use the mic...

so far as the phone goes, phones can be flashed from Sim update in a text message. the same as if you want to actvate roaming and stuff. or apply some new software, a game or some theme...

Haha, see if you had the iPhone, you're out of luck. :D You can thank Apple's continuing belief that integrated and non-removable batteries are practical. :rolleyes:

alvino said:
Haha, see if you had the iPhone, you're out of luck. :D You can thank Apple's continuing belief that integrated and non-removable batteries are practical. :rolleyes:

hahahha lmao! :D So the lesson is, if you are a terrorist do not buy the iPhone. :p

alvino said:
Yeah... I wish Apple wouldn't do that, it gets really annoying when you have to send back your iPod (or iPhone in this case) for a replacement and pay much more just to get a new one (which is usually refurbished because Apple is too lazy to take the battery out and put another in, they just give you another iPod)... Read it on iLounge

I think the only thing that they will be listening to on mine would be the sound of rap in their ears holes !! :p

jibber said:
nah its not the fact that i dont have anything to hide from the police its just that you can no longer have a private call or what ever without thinking there could be someone listening in on your convo! just think if the police can do it whats stopping the guy down the street from doing it!
Exactly, that's what I said in my thread.

Google Guru said:
Yeah... I wish Apple wouldn't do that, it gets really annoying when you have to send back your iPod (or iPhone in this case) for a replacement and pay much more just to get a new one (which is usually refurbished because Apple is too lazy to take the battery out and put another in, they just give you another iPod)... Read it on iLounge

Yeah, and before that, they used to pry open the sides which would flex the aluminum backplate, so when they snapped it back together, the sides would still flex outwards a bit. Ugly.

mammikoura said:
hahahha lmao! :D So the lesson is, if you are a terrorist do not buy the iPhone. :p

Haha, I guess they can't go Jihad in style. :p

Back
Top Bottom