The cup...

SLR cameras usually default to a fairly slow shutter speed when using a flash. The speed of the flash determines the exposure (along with the aperture, of course.) I think my Nikon D200 shutter speed defaults to 1/60 when the built in flash is used, but can be set as high a 1/250. When not using the flash the D200 shutter speed goes up to 1/8000 of a second. At that speed the shutter doesn't open and close, it begins to open, then begins to close before the opening shutter blade reaches the other side of the aperture. In other words, a slot passes over the CCD. That is how such high shutter speeds are obtained.

Anyway, enough rambling...
Great photos! You look like you are having lots of fun!

Basically I am doing this to learn more about the functions of the camera. I thought it would be fun to learn by trial and error rather than reading a boring manual haha...

That's how I learned, just doing my own thing and learning from experience.

Took this at a super high speed...cool hey?

IMG_2444.jpg

That looks like bubble wrap LOL

I also have a T2i and it won't do 1/800 of a second for shutter speed - at least that I'm aware of.

I also have a T2i and it won't do 1/800 of a second for shutter speed - at least that I'm aware of.

It should be able to operate at 1/4000 of a second, when not using the flash. Check the specs.

Notice "Flash X-Sync: 1/200 sec"

By leaving the shutter open longer when taking flash photos the background, which will usually be underexposed, will show up a little more in low light. The subject, or whatever is close enough for the flash to light up well, has the flash to control it's exposure.

Some cameras have rear curtain slow sync flash mode. If you took a photo of a moving car at night using rear curtain slow sync flash the shutter opens, the lights of the car will make lines on the exposure, then just before the shutter closes the flash goes off exposing the car and leaving lines trailing behind the lights of the cars so it really looks like it is moving.

Have lots of fun playing with your camera, but be sure to get around to reading the manual. I know I took tons of photos before checking the manual out, but I did eventually read it cover to cover and I'm glad that I did. You know what they say about computer manuals! RT*M

Ahh, I see. Your assumption is correct that I have yet to fully digest the manual, which is why I've said "at least that I'm aware of"....LOL. I've only had it for about 4 months or so. And I mostly take pics of my kid since it's winter here (I'm a wanna be landscape photographer mostly). I just might have to sit down and read through it fully. Thanks for the tips.

Also, I do like the pics, as I see I failed to mention that in my post.

Back
Top Bottom