The best Linux media players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Source: The best Linux media players

Recently I have had a lot of people asking how to play various media files in Linux. Since most users are migrating over from either Mac or Windows, they are either used to one single application handling their media files or at least knowing exactly what apps handle each media type. When they migrate over all of a sudden there is no Windows Media Player or iTunes. And then comes the bombardment of different applications to choose from! All of this combined makes for some difficult usage. And so…I thought it would be smart to write about the best tools to play certain media types. Understand that these are the best in my opinion. You might hear differently from every other user.
With that in mind, let's take a look at the best audio and video viewing tools available.

Just an fyi, I heard a rumor development for one of the mp3 players in Linux had stopped, which I think it was XMMS.

Also, I cannot believe Amarok wasn't listed. I've tried every single mp3 player I could get my hands on and Amarok was worlds better than any others I found on Linux. So, to Linux users: Apt-get that sh....t!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom