"The Art of Deception"

JaseVaughn

Baseband Member
I just wrapped up reading "The Art of Deception" by Kevin Mitnick discussing the security issues that surround Social Engineering. It was a very good book detailing all the human sides of Information Technology Security. A lot of good procedures and policies in the book that are outlined for companies to follow. It's a good read if you're a Security Administration at your company or where multiple hats and are both the IT Admin and in charge of security as well. I am going to read the other book that was written by him which is "The Art of Intrusion" seems like another intresting book to read. If you don't know who Kevin Mitnick is just type his name into google you know right after that.

Kevin Mitnick is a famous hacker who stole software. He used cell phones to make it difficult to trace him and find his location. He used a lot of social engineering techniques to manipulate people to get what he needed / wanted.

He was caught, then made an example of. Suffered a difficult sentence. He had many months of solitary confinement without phone calls because the prosecutor said he could whistle into a phone and launch nuclear missiles.

I read The Art of Intrusion. It was an interesting and informative read. I got to admit though some of the things that happen seem far fetched.

Kevin Mitnick is a famous hacker who stole software. He used cell phones to make it difficult to trace him and find his location. He used a lot of social engineering techniques to manipulate people to get what he needed / wanted.

He was caught, then made an example of. Suffered a difficult sentence. He had many months of solitary confinement without phone calls because the prosecutor said he could whistle into a phone and launch nuclear missiles.

I read The Art of Intrusion. It was an interesting and informative read. I got to admit though some of the things that happen seem far fetched.

Wow, I might have to get that.

They have two movies dedicated to him (one about freeing him from jail and how his rights were violated) the books are also awesome I would suggest watching the movies and picking up the books.

He really wasn't much of a hacker. Remarkable social engineer indeed, but he even admits that his technical skills were not that great. He could get around a system enough to cause trouble, but he relied on his social engineering skills to basically get people to give him the information he wanted or give him access to it. I would agree that it is a quality read, especially for anyone in the security field (both computer and corporate, social engineers don't just target computers). Art of Intrusion is next on my list to be read. Hopefully I'll get to it soon.

Back
Top Bottom