The 10 Most Overrated Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
The 10 Most Overrated Products - MSN Tech & Gadgets - Slide Shows - Products - 1

i agree that the Nintendo Wii, and Windows XP are overrated.

Nintendo Wii is a overrated in a sense of hype only because parents see the Wii as a total kick *** machine, but it comes down to is the shovelware games, and right now ppl are getting ripped off buying those games, which most of the games are apparently and those of us that are hardcore gamers are having to choose wisely on which games are actually worthy in value and those that are just crap. As for Windows XP.................omg i have to get this off my chest but........anyone that complains about Vista now complained the same exact way when XP launched. New OS's will require more resources to run the OS, by golly. Same thing will happen with Windows 7. As for things not being compatible, dont worry things take time, plus we havent had a new OS since 2002 and Vista came out 2006 so everyone is so used to XP that they dont want to change. I think Vista is great in everyway, only problem is having decent drivers for hardware, like my sound card and laser printer.

i agree that the PSP and Windows Vista are underrated.

PSP as many, many features that outscales the DS in everyway. Each firmware it got added newer and newer features. I dont own one personally but my bros do and i like how powerful it is, but the ghosting kills it for me and the lack of variety games hardly interest me at all. Plus, the UMD movies are rip offs. Windows Vista is underrated because nobody realizes how secure the OS is compared to XP. Yes, it required more/additional resources to run but come on, customers or society need to be smarter then this before even buying a freakin computer! What i mean is go Wikipedia or something, research on how to upgrade parts or shop for parts, invest as low as possible, and BOOM u got a good computer that can run Vista. Dont have the time? Get real, everyone has much time as everyone else, u just have to use it wisely. It's not that hard to learn the basics parts of a computer.

what are ur guys comments out these 10 overrated/underrated products?

I agree with the Zune. It is way under rated for what it does. Now that version 3 is out and they unlocked WiFi it is very good.

I agree with the Paint.NET one as well. That is turning out to be a very powerful GFX app. Cant do all that Photoshop can but for free it can do much more than any other free GFX app.

I fully agree with the XP/Vista. But everyone already knows that from me.

I kinda agree with the Wii one. The PSP is very good. It is turning out to be a real contender in the portable market. But the fact is the Wii wasnt meant to be a hard core gaming console. This was pointed out by Nintendo so long ago that it was meant for the casual gamer.

There are good games for it. I have played Metroid, Galaxy among others and they were all good. Not worth the price tags but i am just waiting for them to drop in price then i will get them. Being a casual gamer now i think the Wii serves it purpose well.

What i absolutely hate about the Wii is they don't supply the market with enough products. Sure you can find Zelda, or games like that. But the Wii fit... good luck finding that one. Once December comes... good luck finding a Wii system. It is rediculous, they are using PS3's and Xbox 360's to hold open doors and prop up shelves, but you have to sell your soul to the devil or give a kidney to a guy in the alley in order to purchase a Wii system or the Wii fit (or any new product they come out with).

Honestly at first I thought it was suppy/demand, but now i honestly feel Nintendo is doing this on purpose. Seriously, I think they under produced the product, but decided to continue doing so in order to keep the 'hype' up about the system and the newer games.

LOL, I'm going to go off the deep end again :) Ready?

Vista Rant.... in 3, 2, 1 ...

As for Windows XP.................omg i have to get this off my chest but........anyone that complains about Vista now complained the same exact way when XP launched. New OS's will require more resources to run the OS, by golly. Same thing will happen with Windows 7. As for things not being compatible, dont worry things take time, plus we havent had a new OS since 2002 and Vista came out 2006 so everyone is so used to XP that they dont want to change. I think Vista is great in everyway, only problem is having decent drivers for hardware, like my sound card and laser printer.

I really do understand where the frustration comes from when we talk about the consumers. Your logic makes sense, but you also should consider the following:

1) XP took under 2 years to develop. Vista took 6.
2) XP was the first step in merging a consumer based/gaming/home user OS and the NT kernal/production based OS.
3) When XP was released, you also had 3 other windows operating systems that were WIDELY used. 98SE/2000 and ME. Production people (office types) still used 2000 and were still very happy, gaming was still WAY below the prime it is in today, so 2000 and 98 were doing great for the "gamers" in that respect.
4) Vista has been, to date the most expensive OS produced. It is also the OS most beta tested prior to release.

The expectations were high, the dev cycle doubled in time, and still they managed to release an OS that initially was taken OFF shelves by manufacturers like Dell and HP. That has never happened before. Again, there was a short timeframe where Dell REFUSED to place Vista on a system that they built. Then, over time, they gave customers a choice.

Because of those above things, I really can't see how something like

"anyone that complains about Vista now complained the same exact way when XP launched."

can be said taken at face value. They are 2 totally different operating system released in different limelight. XP started a wave and set an expectation that Vista simply didn't "carry on" very well initially, if at all.

I pretty sure that XP (with SP2) is also going to be the first Windows OS
to have the length of a support term as it will. General and extended support will go until approx 2013/2014 ... I think that Microsoft is compfortable with this knowing that their customers know that Windows 7 will have had plenty of time to "tread it's waters" by the time EoL for XP support comes around.

Sorry to bust so much on the OS. There are many great things about Vista, there REALLY ARE MANY GREAT THINGS! :) But, to play the OTHER side of the card:

Why are people that stand by Vista SOOOO SHOCKED at the response by XP lovers?
When you have a VERY STABLE os like XP and then something like Vista comes out and gets the HAMMER.... Why are the Vista supports shocked that XP users want to stay comfortable with something that they know works???

I HUG TREES! :)

To jump back on topic (sorry for the rant/derail :) lol )
I really dont think that XP is overrated. I don't think that Vista is under rated either. I can see the logic behind saying that they are though.

On other notes, I'm really glad to see that the PSP made it on the list as an underrated product. My ex-roommates son would ALWAYS come over with his PSP for me to throw movies onto... THAT THINGS ROCKS! The interface is smooth, gameplay is really cool. I'm not shocked though, anyway remember the Sega GameGear? I had one of those growing up and was wondering why other kids didn't have one. I LOVED that thing, and people were so stuck on the Nintendo Gameboy and Gameboy color after that. If this list were published back then, Gameboy I think would be overrated and GameGear underrated.

Some google apps, yea, HIGHLY overrated... Glad to see that OO is up there as underrated :)

Overrated: Touch Interface; Underrated: A Good Keyboard. - Yes. My current phone as a touch interface, and I really don't use.

Overrated: Nintendo Wii ; Underrated: Sony PlayStation Portable - WFT? They are 2 different products product markets. My thought on the Nintendo Wii is that I am a little disappointed with it. For months they Nintendo was going on about how Wii games where going to be cheaper too. Are they sure they where not suppose to be talking about the Nentendo DS? I find that one is rather over raged.
As for the PSP, I do find myself rather disapointed in the number of products that are avalable for it. Sony could do a lot more for this product, they they are not.

Overrated: Mini Notebooks; Underrated: Ultraportable Laptops - Oh yes. Considering that the Mini Notebooks are really nothing more than a second car in my opinion.

Overrated: iTunes Downloads; - Oh yes. DRM. Nuff Sed!

Overrated: Apple iPod Touch; - iPod is over rated.

Underrated: OpenOffice 3.0 - OH YES!!! Definatly!!!!!! I am sick and tired of telling my customers that there is OpenOffice with which is a perfect MS Office Replacement.

Overrated: Windows XP; Underrated: Windows Vista - No Comment. Yes and No. I going to leave it at that.

yea they are right about a lot of stuff

to keyboard cowboy: openoffice is great, but i'm almost positive it doesn't have a power-point type thing...so it does have its flaws too lol

to keyboard cowboy: openoffice is great, but i'm almost positive it doesn't have a power-point type thing...so it does have its flaws too lol

It's called Open Office Impress

Impress is a truly outstanding tool for creating effective multimedia presentations. Your presentations will stand out with 2D and 3D clip art, fontworks, special effects, animation, and high-impact drawing tools. A multi-pane view puts all the tools at your fingertips, and you can 'park' your most commonly used drawing tools around your screen ready for single-click access. Share your work in many ways: not only pdf, but also html and Flash.
Get your message across with Impress.

That's the most backwards set of reviews I've seen. It's almost as if the author read all the current, popular reviews and just wrote the opposite opinion.

I'm oh-so-surprised that an article posted on MSN.com slams the iPhone, iTunes, Windows XP, and the Nintendo Wii. Shocking, isn't it. Almost as surprising as Apple's "Mac vs. PC" commercials.

LOL, I'm going to go off the deep end again :) Ready?

Vista Rant.... in 3, 2, 1 ...

I really do understand where the frustration comes from when we talk about the consumers. Your logic makes sense, but you also should consider the following:

1) XP took under 2 years to develop. Vista took 6.
2) XP was the first step in merging a consumer based/gaming/home user OS and the NT kernal/production based OS.
3) When XP was released, you also had 3 other windows operating systems that were WIDELY used. 98SE/2000 and ME. Production people (office types) still used 2000 and were still very happy, gaming was still WAY below the prime it is in today, so 2000 and 98 were doing great for the "gamers" in that respect.
4) Vista has been, to date the most expensive OS produced. It is also the OS most beta tested prior to release.

The expectations were high, the dev cycle doubled in time, and still they managed to release an OS that initially was taken OFF shelves by manufacturers like Dell and HP. That has never happened before. Again, there was a short timeframe where Dell REFUSED to place Vista on a system that they built. Then, over time, they gave customers a choice.

Because of those above things, I really can't see how something like

"anyone that complains about Vista now complained the same exact way when XP launched."

can be said taken at face value. They are 2 totally different operating system released in different limelight. XP started a wave and set an expectation that Vista simply didn't "carry on" very well initially, if at all.

I pretty sure that XP (with SP2) is also going to be the first Windows OS
to have the length of a support term as it will. General and extended support will go until approx 2013/2014 ... I think that Microsoft is compfortable with this knowing that their customers know that Windows 7 will have had plenty of time to "tread it's waters" by the time EoL for XP support comes around.

Sorry to bust so much on the OS. There are many great things about Vista, there REALLY ARE MANY GREAT THINGS! :) But, to play the OTHER side of the card:

Why are people that stand by Vista SOOOO SHOCKED at the response by XP lovers?
When you have a VERY STABLE os like XP and then something like Vista comes out and gets the HAMMER.... Why are the Vista supports shocked that XP users want to stay comfortable with something that they know works???

I HUG TREES! :)

To jump back on topic (sorry for the rant/derail :) lol )
I really dont think that XP is overrated. I don't think that Vista is under rated either. I can see the logic behind saying that they are though.

On other notes, I'm really glad to see that the PSP made it on the list as an underrated product. My ex-roommates son would ALWAYS come over with his PSP for me to throw movies onto... THAT THINGS ROCKS! The interface is smooth, gameplay is really cool. I'm not shocked though, anyway remember the Sega GameGear? I had one of those growing up and was wondering why other kids didn't have one. I LOVED that thing, and people were so stuck on the Nintendo Gameboy and Gameboy color after that. If this list were published back then, Gameboy I think would be overrated and GameGear underrated.

Some google apps, yea, HIGHLY overrated... Glad to see that OO is up there as underrated :)
There's just one thing I'll add to this:
When XP came out, most people were still using 98. And I think there's a world of difference between 98 -> XP than XP -> Vista
98 has a lot of problems compared to XP that you just aren't seeing in XP compared to Vista.
There was big problems with memory leaking, it just wasn't particularly robust, USB support was almost nonexistent, networking could be described as an afterthought.
A lot of it is probably to do with XP being NT-based (NOT DOS), which was one of the best things Microsoft could have done.

But anyway, NT 5.X right now, is very fast, stable, robust, has a lot of hardware and software support.
While Vista isn't really a bad OS, the fact that XP is working really well for people just makes the situation very different.

I would say that the NT 5.x kernel is probably the best thing that's come out of Microsoft so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom