Temperature Accuracy

isaiahk

Baseband Member
I am trying to overclock my E8500 to at least 4 GHz with the least voltage possible. I'm running Prime95 for the night with 410x9.5 on around 1.31 volts. To see if its stable.

Anyway, I was wondering if the temperature shown on the LCD on my motherboard is more accurate than the temperature shown in software such as realtemp. I am getting around 51-55 degrees in Realtemp and 47-51 degrees on the motherboard LCD.

Also, what is the most voltage a CPU can generally handle before it degrades the chip. I've read around 1.4 volts, but I want to be safe. I'd hate to buy a new CPU later on because of a dead chip.

And do you guys have any tips on overclocking this chip? The board i'm using is the Biostar Tpower I45. I've tried raising the Chipset voltage, as i've read sometimes that works. But I don't really know when to try this, so I probably have my chipset voltage running way higher than needed. I've tried multiple attempts at overclocking, yet i've always ended up giving up and setting the voltages back and frequency back to where I get 3.6 volts easily on stockish voltages.

Last thing, do you guys know any program that allows you to limit the amount of bandwidth you are taking from an internet connection. For instance, when I'm playing a game online, and my brother is watching youtube. His youtube will take most of the bandwidth of my internet connection. [eww DSL 2MBPS]

So I was wondering if I could make him install some program onto his computer that limits the amount of bandwidth he takes, so he can watch his youtube, taking enough bandwidth to load the video sufficiently without lag, yet not load the whole video within a few seconds, and take all the bandwidth at once. I get lag spikes on my games when he does this, making it almost impossible to do well in the game.

I'm not sure if that last part made any sense, but hopefully it did. Hopefully one of you guys knows a program, or if there is such program.

Thanks in advance guys/girls. Appreciate all the help I may get. :)

Anyway, I was wondering if the temperature shown on the LCD on my motherboard is more accurate than the temperature shown in software such as realtemp. I am getting around 51-55 degrees in Realtemp and 47-51 degrees on the motherboard LCD.
Realtemp will get the reading from a sensor on the motherboard anyway - it's not really possible to tell what one's more accurate (despite the logical answer being the LCD on the motherboard.) My advice is always to go with the highest value to be sure!

Also, what is the most voltage a CPU can generally handle before it degrades the chip. I've read around 1.4 volts, but I want to be safe. I'd hate to buy a new CPU later on because of a dead chip.
ANY overclock degrades the chip, however good or stable the overclock is it'll shorten it's lifetime under the same conditions. Personally I wouldn't push mine to 1.4 volts, certainly not beyond it - I'd keep it in the upper 1.3s. But at the end of the day, it's up to you :)

I'm running an E3110 (Which is identical to the E8400), every chip is different, but I think I know this one pretty well.
It all depends on the TjMax that each program uses to calculate temps. The correct TjMax for the 45nm C2s is 100c. Set the TjMax to 100c in RealTemp by clicking on "Settings" -> Set TjMax. Then just disregard anything that LCD tells you.
Vcore is not as dangerous to this chip as FSB or VVT voltage is. I would not go above 1.2V here. I'm running at 4.3 and I have not needed to increase it beyond it's 1.1V stock FSB voltage.
As for the Vcore, I'm happy to push it past 1.4V and I haven't heard of any degradation storys. Plenty of owners have been running 1.4V Vcore since launch. It's when you push it up to 1.6V and beyond that failures start to occur IMO.
And do you guys have any tips on overclocking this chip? The board i'm using is the Biostar Tpower I45. I've tried raising the Chipset voltage, as i've read sometimes that works. But I don't really know when to try this, so I probably have my chipset voltage running way higher than needed. I've tried multiple attempts at overclocking, yet i've always ended up giving up and setting the voltages back and frequency back to where I get 3.6 volts easily on stockish voltages.
First eliminate all variables, loosen your memory timings, set the ratio to 1:1. Set the PCI-E frequency to 100MHz, Disable spread spectrum.
Try to isolate the problem, do not just raise all the voltages hoping something will work. Raise them one by one, perhaps starting with Vcore, if that doesn't fix the stability issue, return it to it's original value and try another voltage.

BTW, is yours an E0? Mines one of the first C0s.

Back
Top Bottom