Teleportation

Status
Not open for further replies.
M733mhz said:
Sure it's possible, Do I feel it SHOULD be possible? Not at all. If anything is gonna make mankind as a whole lazier, it would be being able to teleport places whenever they want.

I disagree here. Even if matter were to be transferred from one point to another, we would still be DECADES away from safely transporting humans. I feel that we are pretty freaking lazy as a race already. Microwaves, Fast Food, Televisions, Fax Machines........oh snap! I think that I just made a transition from lazy to efficiency .....So, fax machines made us more efficient...not lazier.

So, instantly transporting a package from .... say .... Sykesville, Maryland, US to Australia (which would normally take 47 days at the slowest pace) would make us lazier? Highly doubtful. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I feel that it would make me more active. More active as in, get up off my TV watching-butt, pack the car and get the hell out of any major city. The last thing I would want to see in my "iTeleport" would be some sort of bomb which made it's way from my ex-girlfriend's house in a matter of 2.5 seconds.... ---> transition to Stargate......remeber the end of that movie?? hehehe

^^^:confused:

Still, I would have questions about it being possible because there a few ways to go about this.

1.) Scan the object, convert data to signal, transmit signal to receptor, receptor rebuilds object. Problem 1 - what do we do with the original? Problem 2 - from what materials do we create or build the new object from? Problem 3 - let's not forget the first rule of chemistry: You cannot create nor destroy matter.

2.) Convert object to signal that will be transmitted. Signal is made up of energy. Transmit signal to receptor. Receptor converts signal to physical matter. Problem 1 - converting mass to energy and back again Problem 2 - Heisenburg (sp?) uncertainty principle Problem 3 - look to problem 2 above.

Now, on to the religious side. There is the very valid argument (provided you believe in souls) of if the soul could be scanned and transmitted. If there is a copy of you, as with the first method, does the copy have a soul? Enter cloning.
However, religious or not, how is personality created, stored, etc? Memories, knowledge, etc all fall in the same boat. Can that be scanned and stored or transmitted? If the above is nothing more than a set of chemical reactions, can the "new" you be copied in exactly the same way? If the above is stored as a series of electrical pulses, fine, but where? If I lose a chunk of my brain do I lose a chunk of my personality?

On the ethical side, I don't see a problem (soul/personality/knowledge aside) because to me it is just a faster, more effecient method of transportation.

I feel, if ever accomplished, it would be a boon to the world economy. Health care supplies, food, material would be instantly transported across the globe. There would be no jet lag. Think of the other benefits. Teleport a deadly pipe bomb to space or the bottom of the ocean. Wars would change - teleport an entire enemy base to the nearest volcano. Teleport a high ranking enemy general to your "tender" care. Do I still think it will replace short distance travel - across town, to the office, to school, from one point in a building to another? no, it won't be effecient enough for that. The largest polluting vehicles - ships, airplanes, etc, would be negated. I think it would be great, but there are many obsticals to over come.

If I lose a chunk of my brain do I lose a chunk of my personality?
ever hear of a labotomy? But yeah, losing chunks of my brain as I teleport isn't good :D

nitestick said:
how can the synaptic impulses etc be captured and restored?

ya, which goes back to heisenburgs uncertainty principle. All in all, im not saying it's impossible, but we have a lot of hurdles to overcome.

As for a lobotomy - why yes, I would love another one. :p
they didn't get everything the first time.

again, look up quantum entanglement. Very interesting stuff. Essentially, its when the quantum states of two objects reflect the others states via opposite at all times REGARDLESS of spatial distance. Only problem is that information can not be shared between the two, however there is work being done in trying to use multiple quantum states. So, this is why Einstein called this spooky at a distance, because what happened to one object directly affected the other quantum entangled object instantaneously although they are separated, weird stuff.

Meh. I'm too lazy to read all of that black and white text, but I still want a stargate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom