Teenager brands himself with 'laser tattoos'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Teenager brands himself with 'laser tattoos' | NEWS.com.au
A TEENAGE boy has modified a laser-etching machine to burn robot and space invader designs into his skin.
He was filmed being branded by the industrial machine and then uploaded the video – along with full instructions – to the internet.

The instructions, posted on do-it-yourself website Instructables.com, describe how dangerous – and how easy – the amateur "laser tattoo" process can be.

An industrial laser-etching machine looks similar to a photocopier and works by moving a red-hot laser at rapid speeds to "print" intricate designs into hard surfaces such as metal and wood.

The machine normally has a safety system that stops the laser when the lid is opened, but the teenager, under the screen name Tetranitrate, managed to bypass that with a six-sided die and a magnet.

Once the safety feature was disabled, he loaded the designs into the machine, tested its position, then stuck his hands in to burn each design in to his skin.

He can be seen wincing as the machine burns a picture of a robot into the back of his hand, and a close-up shows small sparks and smoke emerging from his flesh.

The instructions did not note the long-term effects of "laser tattoos", but recommended that the machine be set to a higher speed for lighter burns. Aloe vera cream was found to be an effective balm, but it also had an effect on the image's contrast against the skin.

While branding is common in the tattooing and body modification worlds, this is the first apparent use of a laser engraving machine for a similar effect.

COOL! The problem is that I don't have access to a laser cutter.

That's sick. If I ever did a tattoo it either wouldn't be a permanent one or even if it was it would be done in the "traditional" way...

Really the first? I have seen videos where they have used a laser to leave a picture on a thumb nail before.

That is just horrible. I was cringing, with my tiny 100mw greenlaser as soon as i feel the heat i wip my hand out the way, and that laser is probably in the double units of wattage power ? THE PAINNN :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom