Techist Member Picture Gallery

J/k none of the computer boards are awash with women. And a picture of a woman is kind of like looking at a diamond with the laser and glass around it that sets off alarm if you break it. You can look from far away. Just kinda being sarcastic, I never understand these threads but lots of message boards have them. I guess people want to see who they are talking too nothing wrong with that (I am a robot by the way, I look like a cross between bender and buck rogers robot friend). Seems like a security risk seeing as how anyone can read the board even without logging in first. Lots of free algorithms in sites like google images that can match up photos and id people, I don't trust it. But I am sure Yami is a babe and even if not let me think what I want. Almost all women have some pretty thing about them to like.

J/k none of the computer boards are awash with women. And a picture of a woman is kind of like looking at a diamond with the laser and glass around it that sets off alarm if you break it. You can look from far away. Just kinda being sarcastic, I never understand these threads but lots of message boards have them. I guess people want to see who they are talking too nothing wrong with that (I am a robot by the way, I look like a cross between bender and buck rogers robot friend). Seems like a security risk seeing as how anyone can read the board even without logging in first. Lots of free algorithms in sites like google images that can match up photos and id people, I don't trust it. But I am sure Yami is a babe and even if not let me think what I want. Almost all women have some pretty thing about them to like.
I feel like I just jumped back to 2007 with the paranoia lol.

This forum does have more tracking that most other forums I have been too. My Privacy Badger shows 10 and uBlock Origin shows 14
Facebook, Imgur, Google and Social Knowledge are the most popular here and with the facial recognition algorithms from places like Google and Facebook the paranoia can be justified today now more than ever

This forum does have more tracking that most other forums I have been too. My Privacy Badger shows 10 and uBlock Origin shows 14
Facebook, Imgur, Google and Social Knowledge are the most popular here and with the facial recognition algorithms from places like Google and Facebook the paranoia can be justified today now more than ever
My Ublock only shows 4 and I've been on the site for over an hour now. Thing of it is, with so many people walking around with smart phones in their pocket facial recognition that isn't like China's should be a least of a concern. What's scarier, a cookie on a site or Google tracking your every move that can mostly be publicly seen and even notes your most visited areas? Trick question, both combined are. The difference being most if not all tracking etc on a website can be disabled by extensions or otherwise.

Back in the day when Google was first becoming big as well as social media and all of this stuff was first coming up I could understand the paranoia. The only real influence to your internet life was the computer in front of you and the mass majority didn't even have a thought of a smart phone. Today it's much different, as almost everybody and even most kids in first world countries have a phone in their pocket. There are all kinds of devices in stores, malls, on the roads etc that track patterns and movements. I walk into Walmart there's a camera that knows I'm there, Google in my car knows I'm there, Google on my phone knows I'm there, there's a device that pings for smart devices on entry to log customer habits and shopping patterns, 2 cameras at each self checkout register, and incognito security that roams the store (including more that I haven't mentioned or currently don't know about). This is one out of many that do this that have millions of customers. With the mass influx of social media, mass tracking, etc the least of my concern is posting a picture on a forum I've been on for 17 years. I mean for me personally if you Google my screen name almost everything I'm on comes up on Google and the same can be said for a large portion of people who use the same "internet ID" for years that's unique. I randomly did it a couple months back and I even saw a picture of my old old PC from around 2003 or 2004ish.

I'm not say it's irrelevant or anything, all I'm saying is it's a bit of unnecessary drama with the state of the internet and connected devices. If you've posted to any kind of social media or have a cell phone with pictures on it that stuff is already on the internet. If you think it's secure guess again.

I'm using Firefox...
Browser-security.jpg

I agree about those smart phones, I only wish that our U.S. govt cared about peeps as much as Europe does when it comes to privacy. I am not one of those that think I need my cell phone with every minute of the day, many times I leave at home when I go out. I have disable as many things like Google on my phone and I also have turned off location too but I seriously doubt if that does any good. I know that most things are unavoidable but I attempt to keep it to a minimum when I can.
I do not think "we" as all Americans should just ignore this invasion of our privacy ... but until "we" start caring about our privacy it'll continue to just get worse. I'll do my part by avoiding as much as I can

I am not a part of social media but I do have a smart phone 🙁

It's android, open but not open source haha.

The only way to disable location is to remove gps antenna physically from the phone.

I use gps on an old phone with no signal to track myself snowboarding. Even if I had a sim in it, it's out of cell range, gps still works like a champ.

Coming to a country near you:

In authoritarian countries throughout the Middle East and North Africa, Western surveillance tools have empowered repression, allowing leaders to intercept e-mails and text messages, and monitor the whereabouts of citizens through their cell phones. Armed with this information, police in many of these countries now routinely confront dissidents with records of their messages and movements during arrest and torture.

Man, that is gangster. Great knowledge drop Joe C (I assume it's a play on infamous dog / elementary school cool guy Joe Cool). Or the little dude who hung out with Kid Rock. He was on mtv a lot and was drawn into king of the hill with him in one epsidoe (kid rock is in two king of the hills that I know of).

I think all world governments are as hilarious as they are oligarchs, we should be able to criticize / make fun of them at the very least.

This board is hard for me in that regard. I love tech and talking about it but its hard not to go full John Connor when I look 5, 10, 15 years from now a lot could go wrong with all these photos and texts and gps idk I dont want it.

My favorite most unexpected us supreme court decision recently gives me hope that we can at crucial times remember the constitution and what it is for and all that:

https://www.eff.org
Carpenter v. United States
Deeplinks Blog by Cooper Quintin | January 28, 2019
6-7 minutes

In Carpenter, the FBI was was investigating a string of robberies in and around Detroit in 2011. In order to link the defendant to the crimes, the government obtained 127 days of his cell phone records from MetroPCS—without a warrant—to try to place him at the locations of the robberies. As in other cases, the government argued that Mr. Carpenter had no reasonable expectation of privacy in these records, which it claimed were simultaneously incriminating but not precise enough to reveal his exact location and movements over those 127 days. The district court and Sixth Circuit court of appeals agreed, holding individuals lack any privacy interest in the location information generated by their cell phones.

Carpenter successfully petitioned the Supreme Court to review his case. EFF filed briefs both encouraging the Court to take the case and urging it to reject the Third Party Doctrine on the merits. We noted that cell phone usage has exploded in the last 30 years, and with it, the technologies to locate users have gotten ever more precise.

Back
Top Bottom