Tech-Forums IGoogle Theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedman3d

Fully Optimized
iGoogle

Make a google account if you dont already have one, then set that to your homepage or just have a gander. lol.

I plan to make it dynamic so that it shows the last made post on the forums in the smaller bar underneath the main search.

WIP. Ie, its not an official theme so you have to use that temporary link.

Enjoy.

Nice color scheme, I like the blend.
Why force the dynamics on the theme though? I kinda like my theme that I have but I may also want to view the latest threads on TF. Wouldn't it just so much easier for you to place a RSS Feed from TF own your own theme that you wanted rather than have to use yours? (Generally speaking... not "you" as in "you - you", I mean "you" as in "you, the royal you" or "we" as in "us". Ya know? LOL)

Just trying to "plug", once again, that TF should have a feed. I mean, it takes like 5 minutes to add it :)

I mean ... come on :) Dave's Garden dot com has a RSS feed. Dave is out plucking teh weeds in his dirty overalls, and doesn't know a hub from a switch... yet, he's got a RSS feed

Dave and His Garden - 1
Tech-Forums.net - 0

This is a website encouraging the enthusiasm for technology, and the latest technology at that.

EDIT: Just a little someone COMPLETELY off topic but... weren't you writing a Tech-Forums book or something? LOL Every week you are doing something different :) Funny :) Only playing, just an observation and definitely not a judgment. I do the same most times.

The idea of using RSS is not dead, Doc. It is easy enough to activate, but we want to see if there is a way to have it not shoot out spam. We have a few things in the works that might work for this, so hopefully we can get it going.

What do you mean when you say:
"shoot out spam"

EDIT: Oh, you mean the Ads?
Well, there are a few ways to do that. I'm sure you all are on top of it but if you need some other ideas or help let me know. In all honesty though, if you're going to try and capitalize off of Ad sense, then why not use it in your feeds? Just stick the ads at the bottom of the feed. Teh Googlez will do it for yas if ya tell 'em to :)

No, I meant spam posts. While we nix them ASAP, we don't want some spammer's crap post being sent out as a RSS update. WinXPcentral has a huge problem with this.

EDIT: Just a little someone COMPLETELY off topic but... weren't you writing a Tech-Forums book or something? LOL Every week you are doing something different Funny Only playing, just an observation and definitely not a judgment. I do the same most times.

Cant really write anything on the book till i get a new pc with a corei7 so i can take pics as i build it and write and such.

And definitely.... im always looking for ways to do stuff for the forums.
Rofl. Look at my post count. Im not gonna let it hit 1000 till the 14th which was when i joined one year ago. lol. Extra special day.

PS: I wish i was an admin.... lol. Then i could actually query the mysql database and such and get some really dynamic **** happening. haha.

PS: Why dont we just use this RSS feed:
[CDATA[Computer Forums latest threads]

PS2: Updated the theme a bit.

Yea, I can see Trotter's point. But, with all the talk that used to happen with Dave and Trotter pushing for TechForums2 and formulating ideas in the mod section, we came up with some pretty good ideas. You could use the feed as an engine to get the quality out of people posting. For instance, make a forum called "Featured Posts" or whatever, then based on the attitude/quality/respect/kudos/calories per day the dude eats/WHATEVER ... let people one at a time, make posts in there... but articles this forum would be special:

1) Admin/Smods/mods/and "Special members" can post
2) everyone else can view (not reply)
3) These posts would normally be the type of posts you seein the "Tips and Tricks" or set as stickies... or... any one of Osiris's posts in the past year.. hehe
4) Set the RSS feed only from this section
5) you encourage forum activity/integrity/less crapola
6) Could get a contest of some sort started where members vote for their favorite articles and then the most voted gets moved to the section for feeds.

The RSS feeds one time a day or whatever and then the user can choose out of the 20 articles that it publishes .. how many to view.

Using something like a RSS feed to promote fun and more promising posts just seems logical. I don't know too many people that wouldn't take pride in seeing their own post show up in their feed viewer or browser, igoogle page or whatever and say "Hey... I wrote that" :) I think that 99% of the people I know would feel proud and encouraged.

Again? ****, I never stopped :) The TF db password isn't THAT hard to figure out ... lol

No, seriously, I have no clue what you are referring to :) But, I'm glad that you sound like you some what agree :) LOL

My non-disclosure agreement prevents me from saying any more at this present time ;) but, yeah, on along those lines we had discussed before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom