taskeng virus

holyschat

Beta member
So I just stupidly downloaded an infected file and got several viruses and bits of malware, and was quickly able to rid myself of most of it using malwarebytes and avg which were already on my system. However, now when I start up my computer, I get a black window from a program called taskeng.exe. I looked it up and found that this can indeed be a virus, and when I did a search of my computer, I found 7 files with this name in addition to the one that is supposed to be there.

When I run scans on these files with avg and malwarebytes, it says they are all clean and gives me no option to remove them. In addition, when I right-click them, there is no option to "permanently shred with AVG" like there usually is. When trying to simply delete them using more traditional methods, I am told I need permission to delete the file, which is odd since I am the system administrator. How can I get rid of these files?

Just to clarify, when trying to delete the file I did it in windows safe mode, and it still said that I didn't have permission to delete the file.

You can't remove taskeng.exe itself - it's a system file. Taskeng.exe is the Task Scheduler service.

Go to Start -> type "Task Scheduler" -> and then in the Task Library see if there are any tasks trying to run. See if any are not related to anything you know/recognize.

Also, it would be a good idea to run HiJackThis and post the logfile here. DO NOT remove anything unless told to do so - not knowing what you're doing with HJT can cause system damage. Get it from here: HiJackThis | SourceForge.net

Would also be a good idea to run AdwCleaner from here: AdwCleaner Download

Back
Top Bottom