Task bar not responding after update

gib88

Baseband Member
Hello,

I'm having an issue with my Windows 10 machine running on a Mac computer. I was watching a youtube video when suddenly it lost internet connectivity. I tried resetting my network settings and then Windows said it would reboot in 5 minutes. So I decided to save everything and just reboot now, selecting "update and reboot". After updates were install and it rebooted successfully (seemingly), an error popped up saying "Exception ESocketError in module WSHelper.exe at 000F0F0B.WSACleanup". And I found I couldn't click on anything in the task bar at the bottom. When I move the mouse down there, it gives me the busy icon (spinny circle), and when I click on anything, it seems to do something like refresh/reset the task bar as if fixing itself. But nothing is fixed. I still get the busy icon and can't click on anything. Every time I do, it does the same refresh/reset thing.

I can still click on items on the desktop and they seem to open fine (files, folders, application, but jpgs seem to have a problem for some reason). I can ctrl-alt-del to get the task manager and start things (like command terminals). I can also ctrl-alt-del and sign out, bringing me to the sign in screen where I can hold shift down, click the power/restart button and bring up the troubleshooting screen (where I can startup repair, startup settings, uninstall updates, etc.). But I'm not sure which option to choose to fix the task bar problem.

Without the task bar, I'm very limited in the things I can do, and I have to figure out a whole bunch of work arounds just to do simple tasks (some of which I'm not even sure have work arounds). I need some help figuring out how to fix this. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks.

Try updating your pc again because W10 did at one have that bug and I think there is an update to fix it. If that gets you no joy then remove the previous update that caused this issue

Thanks Joe, but I found an alternate solution. I kill StartMenuExperienceHost.exe in Task Manager, and then opening Powershell as an admin, I do this:

Code:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

That fixed everything except for the search box. It still won't respond when I click on it.

The First Fix: Restart the Explorer Process
This controls the Windows shell, which includes the File Explorer app as well as the taskbar and Starts menu. Restarting it can thus clear up any minor hiccups, such as your taskbar not working. To restart this process, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to launch the Task Manager.

Greetings,
Peter

Back
Top Bottom