Talk this noob thru BSOD problem,please!

Juan handed

In Runtime
So,I have this Dell Inspiron laptop since 2004.Runs with XP.

Computer has been running real loopey recently.A few weeks ago it had a problem at start-up where I got a screen telling me about corrupted or orphaned files being fixed,took about 15 minutes,but it finally started Windows when that was complete.

So,now at start-up I get a black screen that says:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Wiindows Setup using original setup CD-rom.Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

The problem with installing the CD-rom is that I beleive the optical drive is busted.I haven't loaded anything into it in over a year and can't even get the CD holder to eject.( I have had to basically pry it with my thumbnail to get it to eject in the past.

When I did open it and insert the CD,it seems like it attempts to spin it a few times and then gives up.

The computer also makes a lot of shuffling and clicking noises within it's gizzards when I turn it on.

There is stuff inside it I would definately like to recover.Thanks,please help.

So,do you suspect a hard-drive problem...and could I replace the DVD drive in the state it is in now,somehow?

I would replace the optical drive and go from there.

OK,would it be as easy as just physically changing the optical drive and re-booting,or do I have to be concerned about drivers,etc.(in the condition it is now.)

Do I try to find the same exact model of optical drive as the one I am swapping out?

In other words,could I just take the optical drive out of the box,physically install it,pop the disc in it and go?

So,I have this Dell Inspiron laptop since 2004.Runs with XP.

Computer has been running real loopey recently.A few weeks ago it had a problem at start-up where I got a screen telling me about corrupted or orphaned files being fixed,took about 15 minutes,but it finally started Windows when that was complete.

So,now at start-up I get a black screen that says:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Wiindows Setup using original setup CD-rom.Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

The problem with installing the CD-rom is that I beleive the optical drive is busted.I haven't loaded anything into it in over a year ....

So I popped in the new CD / DVD drive,looked identical,for the hell of it I booted up and got the same message as above.I then inserted the OS (XP) disc in and this time I could hear something happening and spinning,etc. Not sure what to do,so I walk away for about 15 minutes,come back and the spinning sounds over,same screen ,no prompts.

I hit a key and the windows screen comes on like it is trying to boot,after a minute it goes back to the same black screen and the message above.Try that a few time,same result.

So,next time it goes to the blue windows screen I press F2 and get some promt on what to boot from(?).I choose CD/DVD...same result of the black screen described above.

So,as it goes back to the blue windows screen I hit F12 and end up o n a bluescreen titled:

Pre-Boot System Assesment Build 3012

Device:Hard Drive
Test: DST Short Test

---CPU Time Stamp Calibration
Test Results:Pass

PM Timer 1
Pass

PIC Functionality Test
Pass

A20 Gate Test
Pass

Start DST Short Test
Fail

Error Code:1000-0416
Mdg:Unit 0: DST Log contains previous error(s)

Then I had a Pop-up window in the middle of the page that says

Error dtected,continue testing?

Yes or No or Retry

At this point the page is frozen...

Bottom of page it saysPress ESC to Abort Testing

Press ESC...nothing

Page still stuck...now what?

I'm afraid it looks like the hard drive is dying, and is corrupting data.

Since its a hard drive, unless you know what you are doing, I wouldn't suggest opening the laptop up and replacing the drive yourself. You'll also need a laptop hard drive, and I'm not sure how much they cost more than standard desktop hard drives.

Have you got any data you need to back up? Or could you happily get it sent off for repairs somewhere and lose everything without a worry? (external backups maybe?)

I'm afraid it looks like the hard drive is dying, and is corrupting data.

Since its a hard drive, unless you know what you are doing, I wouldn't suggest opening the laptop up and replacing the drive yourself. You'll also need a laptop hard drive, and I'm not sure how much they cost more than standard desktop hard drives.

Have you got any data you need to back up? Or could you happily get it sent off for repairs somewhere and lose everything without a worry? (external backups maybe?)

I replaced the hard drive on this laptop about 3 years ago,so yes,I have had it apart before.

Yes there are some files and photos I'd like to get off of this thing.At this point that's all that concerns me. I'm clueless how to do it.

I feel bad about tossing this thing out,but it is outdated and needs a HDD,more RAM and a battery...that's $250 right there.

Hirens boot is what I reccoment. A tool for a broken Drive, system, registry or files - restores your computer even if you have double deleted your "My computer" folder and everything from your registry. :D Good luck understanding it though.

Back
Top Bottom